Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
I am a somewhat new hunter and was wondering if anyone could tell me the approximate age and size of these two bucks. I'm guessing that they are around 4 years old...thanks!
i think you are probably right i'd say 4. good big bodies on them. nice bucks. i'd take either one. i'd say right around 127" more or less. just lacking in the brows to get much more

welcome to the club

·
Registered
110 Posts
depending on where your from, food supplies, etc. are gonna make a huge impact on antler growth and body size. you cant decide age by antler size. its like trying to define the age of a car by its tires. (ya'll know what i mean). what you will have to do when you shoot it, if you get a chance, is look at the molars of the lower jaw bone. that will be able to tell you about how old it is. beautiful deer tho. good luck! and welcome to the site!

G

·
depending on where your from, food supplies, etc. are gonna make a huge impact on antler growth and body size. you cant decide age by antler size. its like trying to define the age of a car by its tires. (ya'll know what i mean). what you will have to do when you shoot it, if you get a chance, is look at the molars of the lower jaw bone. that will be able to tell you about how old it is. beautiful deer tho. good luck! and welcome to the site!
you are right antler growth isn't a good sign to use to age on the hoof. but there are other things to look at that can give you a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2 big things i look for, before tagging, is looking for the Roman nose, and how the hair around the face is. it isnt a guaranteed way to find out, but it gives you an idea.

G

·
2 big things i look for, before tagging, is looking for the Roman nose, and how the hair around the face is. it isnt a guaranteed way to find out, but it gives you an idea.
i look at the neck both ends of it. if there really isn't an end on either end meaning the neck just becomes brisket and the other end just become head. i look at the waddley brisket thing in early season pics. the back is it straight or sagging, and the belly is it narrower than the chest the same size or pot bellied. are the legs long or do they look short. then the head is it a blocky head or kinda long like a doe?.

with does i look at over all size if there is something to compare to. and how ugly is its face. if it has that cutesy bambi face its probably a young doe the cuter the younger and the other way is the older the uglier.

so a buck with a neck that really isn't clearly defined, a sagging back, a pot belly, short looking legs, a blocky head, the jaw line is more neck than jaw. its 4+ years old.

if it looks like a race horse, longer legged, kinda a longish head, the belly is straight back form the chest or slightly narrower, the back is straight. its 3ish.

if it looks like a big doe with horns its 2ish

thats what i go by. never mentioned antlers untill describing a 2 year old

1 - 12 of 12 Posts