Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the more I look into this and the target zone of a deer the more I think the target I am using for practice is misleading. The pics show the target and I have highlighted the zones I think I should be shooting in red. What do ya'all think?

The 3rd photo is to show ya the humor of my wife and kids...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm not a fan of your #2 zone as you will catch the front shoulder and most likey hit the opposite shoulder or deflect at a bad angle. The deer likely would be dead but you have a better shot. This wouldn't be a great concern for gun hunters other than a lot of spoiled meat but for archery your #1 area is better. If you catch the deer just behind the shoulder 1/2 way up is a good shot as you will double lung them. I always do my best to figure out how the deer will present me with a broadside shot 15-25 yds when setting up my stands, it doesn't work 100% but I get a good percentage of those shots. You might hear from archers that can blow through both shoulders with various broadheads but the odds say don't take that shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took my girls out yesterday and as expected we did not see much. The girls are still getting their woods feet. The younger of the 2 had a hard time staying still and when I was calling in a buck over this creek bed she popped up with the binoculars so she could see it and that was the end of that. LOL

All in all we had a good day and they both want to go back later today so maybe some better luck today. It rained overnight so that will help with the bull in a china shop syndrome the girls have.

I appreciate the feedback and have adjusted my bow and target zones!

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
the bull in a china shop syndrome the girls have.
Its good to know all kids have this syndrome. I thought it was just mine and my bro-in-laws young-uns.

Its neat what your doing by taking them hunting. They will appreciate it greatly when they get older.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the glendel buck and I think it's a little misleading also.

The Glendel is definitely misleading. Whoever designed the killzone on mine obviously wasn't a bowhunter. :wacko:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That shot would be OK if you were on the ground aiming at a broadside animal. The problem is most times you will not have that shot it will be at an angle that if that was your aim point it may not get the job done. Turn that deer to a quartering away shot and you may miss the vitals. Practice at different angles and different hieghts and see how the arrow will pass thru the deer and you will see how your aim point needs to change for each shot.

Someone said aim for the exit, I think that is pretty good advice.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
buy a blind to hide the kids movements,get one with shoot through windows.i agree with HM about the shot placement

1 - 10 of 10 Posts