Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
not to start a this is better than that but its been some time since we've had a "your favorite rifle" thread.

mine for deer, at this time, is my remington model 7 in 260 remington topped with a pentax light seeker 30, shooting a federal vital-shok 140 gr sirrea gameking BTSP. next is a custom A303 bored to 338 win mag topped with another pentax light seeker shooting a 225 gr federal vital-shok. but i think the rifle i get the most enjoyment from is my remington 700 22.250 heavy 26 barrel, laminate stock, topped with a 3.8X12 simmons ATEC, shooting a hornady 40gr moly coated vmax
from left to right the modle 7, the A303 bored out to 338 win mag, and the rem 700 in 22.250. the one on the right is a ruger 77-22hornet topped with a bushnell dusktodawn. shot a crow at 274 paces with a hand load 35 gr vmax with this sweet little rifle

·
Registered
852 Posts
You have to love a bolt carbine for deer

I would say that your Model 7 setup in 260 looks really nice for Deer. I always liked the way the Remington Model 7 balances. I always tend to place the smaller magnification scopes on carbines like this. I worry that a big scope might throw off the natural balance that you get with the compact carbine. I have never read anything bad about the 260 cartridge. It is suppose to be superior to the 308 on Deer and that is saying a lot.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that your Model 7 setup in 260 looks really nice for Deer. I always liked the way the Remington Model 7 balances. I always tend to place the smaller magnification scopes on carbines like this. I worry that a big scope might throw off the natural balance that you get with the compact carbine. I have never read anything bad about the 260 cartridge. It is suppose to be superior to the 308 on Deer and that is saying a lot.

Karl
i too thought hard about this scope on this rifle. but here is the deal. the balance is still great. i tend to hunt from a tree these days, but most of all it is the rifle i intend to take to MT for speed goats. so i think its a good fit, based on what i want this rifle to do. but good call on your part

·
Registered
608 Posts
My favorite to carry is a Remington 600 in 308 topped with ironsighter mounts and a Leupold 1.5x5 III. I paid in 1964 $100 for the rifle $100 for the scope and twenty bucks for the rings. Sure do miss the good old prices!!!
daddus

·
Registered
820 Posts
This is a tough one, its between my customized Mosin Nagant and my Ruger 77/44 "All weather". I've never taken the Ruger deer hunting being that I just got it this year, but its extremely light and handy, only about 6.5lbs with a Leupold UltimateSlam scope. I put it to work tonight by taking out a pest ****.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I aint got no fancy shootin irons like yall do,But mine get it done.One day Ill have one of them.This model 760 in 30-06 is what Im useing now.just retired my 57year old model 94 Ive taken a pile of deer with

Attachments

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Very hard question ronn. I love the 1951 ish savage in 300, and really want to hunt with the Win 88 in 308, flintlocks, in-lines, Rem 700 mountain rifle in 270win still is my favorite accurate shooting rig. 760 Rem pump in 30-06 wearing the old 3x9 redfield was my first purchase so it holds a special place too.

·
Registered
824 Posts
"This model 760 in 30-06 is what Im useing now.just retired my 57year old model 94 Ive taken a pile of deer with"

"I love the 1951 ish savage in 300"

My favorite(s) are the ones I inherited from my grandfather. Remington Model 81 circa 1949 in .300 Savage, Remington Model 740 circa 1957 in .244/6mm Remington. That .300 Savage kicks like a mule, but a LimbSaver recoil pad takes most of the 'sting' out of that now, and the 6mm using 100 grain Core-Lokt's are just plain awesome for dropping deer.

·
Registered
986 Posts
"This model 760 in 30-06 is what Im useing now.just retired my 57year old model 94 Ive taken a pile of deer with"

"I love the 1951 ish savage in 300"

My favorite(s) are the ones I inherited from my grandfather. Remington Model 81 circa 1949 in .300 Savage, Remington Model 740 circa 1957 in .244/6mm Remington. That .300 Savage kicks like a mule, but a LimbSaver recoil pad takes most of the 'sting' out of that now, and the 6mm using 100 grain Core-Lokt's are just plain awesome for dropping deer.
I would really love to have a winchester model 100 in .308

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hard to pin down a single favorite, but a M100 Carbine in .308 I have is as nice a carry rifle as I own. Not exactly a target rifle, but it will still do a hair under 1.5" (3 shots) at 100 yards, if I do my part.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Karl's favorite carry rifle

It's sad to say but it isn't mine anymore. My oldest son Jeff has laid claim to it. Win M70 Featherweight w/laminated stock in 30-06. Scope is a straight 4x Zeiss. This rifle isn't the controlled feed classic action and I don't care it fits me perfectly. If I am having a good day at the range all the 165gr Nosler BT go through the same hole at 50 yards and are touching at 100 yards. I don't doubt others can do this with any rifle but I have only been able to shoot this well with this rifle. I am still trying to get this comfortable with the Sako bolt carbine in 30-06 that didn't get claimed by either son.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok here is the reason i asked the question. there is obviously no wrong or bad answer. but did you guys feel that, when you stopped to think about that rifle? that warm sense of comfort, pleasure, and pure joy, deep in your center.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It made sense at the time

I was all ready to go shopping for Deer rifles for my two sons. I had them shoot the three that I had so they would be able to make an educated decision. I wanted them to be envolved in the choice I was getting for them. Then my wife asked me how many Deer rifles I had, I said three. Then she pointed out that this is the number required. Myself and the two boys, I hate it when she uses logic on me. Now the ultimate mistake, I agree with her and tell the two boys- take your pick. Well atleast they didn't both want the same one, but my oldest took my favorite. Maybe if I ask he will let me borrow HIS Win 70 this year for Deer hunting.

Karl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.