Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new father of about 11 days. Obiously it will be some time before my son can go hunting with me. I just want some input/experiences on a good age for my boy to start goin out to learn the ropes with me?

G

·
Love that desk! I ca

Love that desk! I can imagine sitntig there for hours reading and writing and creating. Peaceful solitude.www.amandadores.blogspot.combrand new blog - beautiful and unique finds posted daily!

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
My kids were about 4 when I took them into the woods and started to show them different tracks/sign of animals. Now at 10/11 they are both pretty good scouters and love the outdoors. My son was 9 last year and shot his 1st turkey and my daughter is still a little too small for the guns just yet.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
awsome advice from Ronn. a few other things i did with my son were to teach him the hunter safty rules when we went out scouting. and i started to carry an unloaded gun with me just to see how he was around it. then i started squiral hunting with him. (me carrying the gun) next year he will be carrying an unloaded gun when we squiral hunt. he has a bb gun, and once i am happy with what i see at the rainge, and in the woods his gun will get to be loaded when we go out.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
scent loc cost way to much to do dipers. your just going to toss them any way. but scent loc one zzz's. i think im on to something.

·
Registered
602 Posts
started my son ot at about 5-6 with a bb gun. 7 with a .22, got his .410 when he was 9 and started deer hunting with his .243 at 11. had him in the woods with me at about 6. just remember, when the time comes, hunting with younguns can be quite hard. i had times i would take him and other times i wouldn't. kids can get pretty fidgitty. when he went, i knew we weren't going to be in the woods long, might see something might not. was there just to experience the outdoors together. and a harvest was a bonus. as he gets older, he has alot more patience. had to make it fun for him to go.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Good post from kemster and ronn..

What i am getting out of this is take it slow with them.. Dont shove it down their face, make it fun, and dont have high expectations about how quiet and still you can get a 6 yr old to be for a length of time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for the advice. sounds like some pretty good ideas. and i like the idea of the onsies. ya should definately market that. i might would pitch for one.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
+
= READY DADDY! :w00t: :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would add. Have fun and your kids will want to go too. My daughter is nine and this was her first year shooting a deer rifle. She has went a few times a year for the past 5 years and enjoys the woods with Me, my Father, and Father-in-Law.

just be prepared to talk about racoons and birds and don't get upset when you have to leave after 20 minutes in the stand. When she is of age try to put them on some deer as soon as they can shoot one. My Daughter shot 2 doe this year and really wanted a buck. I think she has horn fever already.

Another thing is get a 22 auto and scope it up. Then let the little one shoot the mess out of it. They will love shooting for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've made some great memories with my son ( he's almost 20 now) in the woods........He was about 8 or 9 and we were easing into the woods one day and he had to let off a little "steam" and I turned around and he was basically on the ground laughing, I proceeded to tell him that he should have done that stuff at the truck.......he then told me he didn't have to do it when we were at the truck. we got tickled and then I heard something and turned to see two flags running off........I swear I think I heard them laughing too.cdg"??"

·
Registered
55 Posts
My son started sitting in the stand with me when he was 5 years old. He shot his first deer while in the stand with me me when he was 7 using my Ruger 1 chambered in a .22-.250. he is twelve now and still sits in the stand with either me or my dad but is, in my opinion, a pretty accomplished hunter for a twelve year old. If they have an interest, it is up to you as to when to start ultimatley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts