Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of yall plant food plots for the off season to try and hold more deer for next year?if so whatis your plants of choice for the rest of the winter spring and most of all the hot summer? i have winter wheat rye grass arrow leaf clover crimson clover &rape planted now i put down fert.&lime in aug planted in sept but nothing seemed to really start growing good until late nov I'm afraid if i plant any earlier it will all burn up in the summertime.I would like to have a year round crop,does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
We usually plant three types of clover in the fall and let it carry over. I think it is the white clover that does well in the summer. But that is about it, Usually after spring green up they move on anyway.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
try whitetail institute they have stuff for everywhere and every season.they got a nice sampler pack i used it found it was a good deal:coffee:

·
Registered
90 Posts
CLOVER CLOVER CLOVER CLOVER!! I keep white clover planted all year long in all of my fields. I will often sow wheat in amongst the clover and clear out some of the clover and plant corn when season is approaching.

Clover has some of the highest nutrient value of anything you can plant ( i have tried many of the Biologic stuff and it is CRAP) which means that if you get a good stand of clover you can definately see improved rack growth. I have seen bucks go from just buttons to 15 (1/2) inside 8pointers with about 6'' points in one seaon. Granted most of these deer werent that afraid of humans the first year and spent many hours feeding in the fields but still....in one year that's great growth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts