Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I am an author of young adult fiction, and I'm currently writing a book set in a world with American colonial-level technology. I would like to include a scene of a group of men/boys who go hunting deer to feed the people in a caravan.

Problem is, I am not a hunter, and need some help. Basically, I would like to pick your brains on the basics. Call it research! :wink: In the past, I've found it's much easier to learn about a subject through discussion than through a textbook.

1. How many people can make up a hunting party?
  2. Would they go on horseback, or on foot?
  3. Would they take a dog?
  4. Would they hunt with rifles, or with bows? - this is more of an advantage/disadvantage question, let me worry about the time period and available equipment
  5. How long can a hunt take?
  6. How is a deer tracked?
  7. For eating, would they go for a buck or a doe (or does it matter)?
  8. How many people can one deer feed?
  9. How would they get the deer back?

Thank you very much in advance. I am open to links to helpful articles, anecdotes, and plain fact, if you are interested in helping me.

Regards,
Rachel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful! Thank you so much, all of you. I really appreciate your time and help. This is fantastic information to get me started. I don't even have follow-up questions - these answers are very clear and easy to understand.

Warm regards,
Rachel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts