Deer Hunting Forums banner

Woo Hoo I finally get to go hunt!!

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  rdrader2002 
#1 ·
I dont have to go back to work till Friday evening so I will be able to get in a small hunting trip for sure Fri morning. This has been the busiest year I have had in probably my entire life. I asked my wife how many years she has known me to miss the entire bow season and the opener of ML in TN and she said ZERO.. That is till this year. :wallbash:

This morning I am meeting a group to have a wood cutting party, hopefully this evening I get all my hunting gear lined up for the year etc.

Im not concerned about not being able to scout the woods that I will be going to tomorrow. Its private land. Hasnt been hunted yet this year. And Ive hunted it for a long time. The deer all seem to do pretty much the same thing every year. I already know what tree I am walking to. This tree is what I consider to be old reliable. It has produced deer every year I have hunted it.

I could probably have a couple hours of daylight left this evening that I could go walk my woods and scout a little but I am leaning toward just leaving all human scent I can out of the woods that I can.

What would you fellows do?

Just hunt in the morning and stay out of the woods this afternoon,

Or go scout around a little and see what I can see this evening and then hunt the same woods tomorrow morning?

See less See more
#11 ·
My bro in law was in a grown up field above me and he seen several smaller bucks and some does. He had his eye on one of the does but it never gave a great shot.

I seen nothing but some birds and a rabbit. It was cool to be able to call while he watched the deer above me and tell me how they reacted. Its like having 2 sets of eyes.

He told me to hit the rattle bag while he was watching one buck and it went from feeding to looking my way and then rubbing on bushes.

Hopefully next week will be more eventful. Still getting hot down here during the day. Around 76 or so today. Only about 45 in the truck this morning.

#12 ·
BF - know exactly how you feel. FINALLY got home from bouncing around the country. First it was upstate New York for one month, then out to west Texas for another. Got home and spent a couple of days watching yearlings cavorting in the small clearing down range.

Saturday morning was pretty much the same thing. Was out well before dawn, the sun was up, the yearlings had come and gone, nothing down range, so I got up from behind my little stand, picked up the .300 Savage and stepped back to stretch the legs before heading for the house. Was about to take that first step towards the house when movement really close in front of me caught my attention. I dropped to my knees, hoping I could avoid detection. It worked and a young doe stepped a little further out from the brush. This was larger than the yearlings I had seen earlier. I guess that twenty years of military training does come in handy at times. Brought the rifle up into a 'perfect' kneeling unsupported firing position. Remington Model 81 has a scope mounted, but this one was close enough that it wasn't needed. Used the open sights and "bang" - single shot. Doe jumped a little into the air then took off like a scalded rabbit - but not very far. Y'all are absotively and posilutely correct - put one through both lungs and they may run, but they don't run very far. Doe ran about 40-50 yards and dropped. She may not have been the biggest doe out there, but I'll bet she tastes good when I get her out of the oven.

And for those who recommended the Limbsaver recoil pad for the Model 81??? Thanks a bunch for the advice, hardly felt the recoil at all when I squeezed the trigger. <either that or the adrenaline was really pumping through the old veins>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.