Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the new Winchester 209 Primers Triple 7 Primers? I was using the Remington Kleanbore then tried the Win 777 primers. I never has much of a problem with the "crud ring" because I always run a wet and dry patch between each shot at the range. But thought I would give them a try.

I do not see much of a difference. In fact with my Encore and Omega it get a lot of black soot type build-up on the outside of my breach plug. With the Kleanbore not nearly as much.

Has anyone tried the new Thompson Center 209 primers?

·
Registered
179 Posts
for as far as gun shooting....my father uses nothing but good ol reliable winchester for shot selection....oddly he only likes to buy remington firearms

·
Registered
2 Posts
777 Primers Failure to Fire

Opening Muzzleloader report 10/13, I set out with Omega for the 3rd season, Winchester 777 primer, 777 pellets 150gr and a TC 250 shockwave....
Sunrise cracked with 2 fat does at 20 yards, I pulled the hammer back set my micro dot on the shoulder and squeezed... click nothing... Pulled the hammer and again and a 2nd time...click. Deer snorted and gave me the tail. :mad:

I have never had a 209 fail in my shot shell reloading nor in muzzleloader. I took the Win 777 primer out and replaced it with a Federal 209. Aprox 2 hrs later a big red fox came into my field.
I dusted him at 125 yards.

Sat evening I loaded 50 of the 777 primer into shot hulls and fired them one more FAILED TO FIRE, that's a 4% FTF rate and totally unacceptable. They are headed to the garbage!
I'll take the crud ring to here boom!

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
wow buckjammer that stinks. the only time ive seen 209s do that is when they were extremely old. and i still dont know if them being old really mattered. i would trash them myself. that would cut your confidence alot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Winchester 777 Primers let me DOWN!

I had a doe 25yds in front of me pulled the hammer back and and let it rip. Only to my disapointment the primer poped and did not set the powder off. I went home cleaned the gun and went to the range the primer did not even pop this time. My firing pin put and a good dent in the primer and nothing. These things suck!

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I use Remingtons Kleanbore primers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts