Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have permission to hunt on some land but the fields (which have not trees in them for placement of either climbing or ladder stands) has some HORSES (no cattle) pastured in them.

If I put some freestanding metal tripod stands in the fields with these horses is it likely that the horses will bother and/or do any damage to the tripod stands ?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I would not think so. But Im not going to guarantee that either.

How much cleared field are you talking about. If its not alot of land and you have horses all over it I would stick to the woods. Its rare to see deer and horses very close to each other. In TN it seems like deer are more terrified of a horse than they are of cows.

If its alot of land and you see deer on it than I would probably go with the tripod and hope they dont screw with it. If its a musthave set up string a strand of barb wire around the tripod.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Those darn things love to rub on everything. First hand experience on this one. Secure it VERY well. Ever had a horse gently nudge you? He will still move you backwards.:wallbash:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Yes they will probably "bother" it and scratch their butt with it, but once it falls over they will likely spook just a little and then return to see what happened...I don't know for sure but this is what I would guess they would do. I wouldn't worry too much about them damageing it unless they are some really aggressive horses or you stand is very fragile...if you secure it good enough you shouldn't have to worry - they do love to rub on everything...a couple of years ago we had a couple of horses and they would scratch their butt on the perisimmon trees to get the perisimmons to fall...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I sometimes will get the horses following my trail to my stand. Even if they don't see me go in sometimes they will show up later and hang out around the stand...that is the only problem I've had with them. I would hang a setup in the woods...better chances of not getting your hunt screwed up by the horses.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I sometimes will get the horses following my trail to my stand. Even if they don't see me go in sometimes they will show up later and hang out around the stand...that is the only problem I've had with them. I would hang a setup in the woods...better chances of not getting your hunt screwed up by the horses.
Had that problem too. Solution------SlingShot works great!:whistling:

·
Registered
16 Posts
as far as the stands go they are gonna rub and check out the new but scratcher in the pasture so consider anchoring it without using any kind of rope or cable they can get tangled in or set up in the woods the horses aren't gonna hurt your deer hunting chances because they are there i deer hunt on horseback and i have taken plenty of mature bucks usually within 20 yards some i could reached out and touched

1 - 9 of 9 Posts