Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To everyone who knows hunting laws in WI. I used my buck tag and my son hasn't yet. He doesn't plan to come with me this weekend (so, essentially his hunting season is over). Can I use his tag if I am lucky to see another buck even if he's not with me at the moment?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't know WI laws but most states it is ILLEGAL to group or party hunt. Check the Regulations to be certain

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know group hunting (or using another person tags with his permission) is legal in WI. I just don't know if that person must be present or at least "around" at the time of kill and/or at the time of registration.

My son has done hunting for the season and hunting is mostly over, but one still can hunt with a muzzleloader and his buck tag isn't used and my freezer is only half full...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
in Missouri you can't do that. Now I can kill a deer, check it, and then give it away to someone.. but no, I can't use someone else's tags.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know group hunting (or using another person tags with his permission) is legal in WI. I just don't know if that person must be present or at least "around" at the time of kill and/or at the time of registration.

My son has done hunting for the season and hunting is mostly over, but one still can hunt with a muzzleloader and his buck tag isn't used and my freezer is only half full...
Here is a quote right out of the regulations
"It is illegal to allow someone else to use or carry your license, carcass tag or buck
authorization sticker or for you to use or carry some other person’s license, carcass
tag or buck authorization when engaged in hunting."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
it is legal in WI during gun season

Page 22: Group Hunting:
It is illegal to kill game for another person EXCEPT that during a deer firearm season only any member of a group deer hunting party may kill a deer for another member of the party.

---
Answering my own question, I can use my son's deer tag only if he's hunting with me (not necessarily from the same blind, but basically in the same field for sure).

---
Apparently hunting regulations are written in a way to be easily understood and have all the answers if you just read them ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts