Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would just like to know who everybody is grateful too for introducing them to the outdoors.for me it was my uncle ed,my father was a golfer and never hunted but my uncle seen my interest and taught me alot.I am grateful for that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
824 Posts
For me, it was my grandfather who took an interest in me before I was even a teenager. I guess it was a good thing too. He passed away when I was only 13.

I got my first (and only) turkey when I was about 10. Shot it on Thanksgiving Day with a .22 and remember puking my guts out when it came time to "dress" the thing once we had gotten back out of the field.

It was around 35 years between that turkey and my first deer, but just never had much of a chance for hunting with career, family, etc. Have at least managed to pass the joy of hunting down to my sons and one of my daughters.

The best compliment paid, I guess, was when calling my mom to tell her that my oldest son had just gotten his first deer. "Your grandfather would be proud of you!" Some memories last a lifetime. Hunting with my grandfather is but one of them.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I would say my father, for me, because he loved hunting and being outdoors, but when I was little hunting land was scarce. We definately didn't have money to pay for a lease so we relied on people we knew who had land-- and that was a stretch. I woulud have to say my father-in-law too because as my wife and I were dating, I helped him alot with chores around the farm w/cattle and hay cutting/raking/bailing/hauling. I just love being outdoors in the woods or someplace quiet where no one can see you and you are alone. It's very peaceful and a good time to talk to God (for me!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess It would have to be God. No one hunted in my family ever. Not my father, not my brothers no one. I just decided after high school soccer that I wanted to still be in a sport where my age didnt matter (and golf is SOOOOOO boring) and I could receive some kind of fulfillment, so I turned towards hunting. So I thank God for instilling the need to Enjoy the great outdoors within my soul. And now Im passing it on to my daughter.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
now, now, now, Golf isn't boring... It's FRUSTRATING! haha It's the most fun in the world when you do good, but the LAST thing in the world I want to do when playing bad.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Dad started me. I've always had an inner desire to be outdoors. I got my Dad and Brother back into fishing and hunting and now they are both gone but never forgotten. Good memories, sad memories, just life! Here's a tibute to all the Grandads, Dads, uncles, brothers, family that we miss hunting and fishing with! We miss ya all.

·
Premium Member
3,347 Posts
X2 HM
For me my parents for leaving Long Island & moving us to NH
just wish we went further up in NY where they actually have deer :crybaby:
probably would not have gotten into hunting if we stayed there probably would have gotten into Jail or trouble

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great Topic ...

My dad introduced me to hunting when I was young. It was a great "Hobby". My father in Law ,and Best friend I ever had, showed me the power that that "hobby" or more acurately with him "Lifestyle" held when it came to building relationships with my sons and family. Guess it was a team effort by the Two greatest men I have ever Known. I lost my father in Law 3 years ago and think of him and miss him everyday. I refuse to not pass the lifestyle that he loved to his Grandsons my 4 boys. My dad although he lives 800 miles away from me now calls and gives me hunting advice constantly. We share trail cam pics and hunt details until it fels like we almost still hunt togrther. ... Great topic the memories and thankfullness it brings up makes my eyes "Sweat"... GOOD TIMES!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
it would have to be my grandfather (mom's dad) and my dad. My dad grew up in southern california in the 50's and 60's, he never hunted or fished or fire a gun till he joined the navy. after he married my mom, her dad taught his new son in law how to hunt and fish, when my brothers and I were old enough, my dad passed that knowledge on, and created three lifelong outdoorsmen. my grandfather passed away when I was 4, I never really knew him and only have vague memories of an old man in a hospital bed. but inmy gun safe is a sporterized 303 smle that he used for years, after his death, it was passed to my moms older brother who gave it to me a few years ago. my grandfather was also a reloader, a hobby I have taken up, my grandmother sold most of his reloading equipent, but I still have, and use some norma brass for that 303, and it puts a smile on my face to remember that he used this same brass so many years ago (most of the brass is to stressed to used anymore, but a few pieces are still servicable, the non servicable pieces are slowly being built as dummy rounds just for laughs and as a reason to hold on to it)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
these posts are incredible i think we should repost this every year as a tribute and reminder to the great memories and things that truly matter in life.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
The love of outdoors and hunting in general would have to go to my dad. He bought us BB guns and we had a house load of shotguns. We use to sit out under a big ol maple tree when the crows came in each fall and blast away. We would sit in lawn chairs. (my dad and 2 other brothers) Wait till a bunch of crows landed in the tree. We would each pick some out. On the count of 3 we blasted. Sit there about 15 more minutes and another 100 crows would land back in that same tree. He also took us rabbit hunting each year.

As far as deer hunting is concerned that would have to go to my uncle. I didnt deer hunt when I was little but my Uncle always had an open invitiation if we wanted to go. I always said there is no way im getting up at 4 in the morning to sit in a tree and freeze to death. That attitude changed in a huge way.

I called him one day and said I wanted to go deer hunting. Even after all those years of me not going he still had always asked the landowners for permission for him to hunt and maybe his 3 nephews. It was awesome to me that even though I hadnt hunted with him before he was always prepared with a place he could take us if we ever decided to go. That still floors me to this day that he was still thinking about us after all the years of not going. I would go and stay with him in North GA and he proceeded to talk my head off about deer hunting and all it entailed. He was always trying to give me gutting knives, calls and all the deer hunting extras we think we need.

Cool thread. Reminds me I need to give him a call. My mom told me the other day he already tagged several deer this year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dad gave my older brother and I our start. He is 74 yrs old and still comes to deer gun camp (mostly to cook, eat and BS), but aren't those some of the best things about deer camp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My dad gave my older brother and I our start. He is 74 yrs old and still comes to deer gun camp (mostly to cook, eat and BS), but aren't those some of the best things about deer camp.

Well, I finally made to deer camp this morning and Dad ran me out of the kitchen when he got there. I spent most of the day still hunting around the clubhouse. I thought alot about this thread while sitting there killing time and remembering learning how to hunt from my Dad, uncles, older cousins and just some of my Dad's friends. All these men taught me to be an ethical and safe hunter while having the time of my life. I remember these men in their prime, running these hollows and hillsides dragging a couple clumsy clueless boys with them. I'm sure we screwed up more than a couple of their hunts on some big deer, but they never lost their cool with us, they just put us out front so we could get the first chance at a shot. I can remember shooting my first deer at age 13, it was a adult doe and those guys made me feel like a had taken a new state record. Most of the men I speak of either do not hunt anymore or have passed away but what they taught me will be passed on to my son and hopefully his sons when it's time. I guess what I really wanted to say in this post is if you get the chance to teach a kid to hunt, remember that it's not just the hunt they'll remember.............so be patient.

·
Registered
97 Posts
wow, this thread is turning out to be pretty epic. sticky?

well, the person who got me into hunting(and draining my bank account, haha) is my father in law. nobody in my family hunts. no one. but growing up i was always an outdoors kind of kid. seeing how whenever i was inside i was getting yelled at for not being outside, i didnt really have a choice. and growing up in florida in and around pensacola it wasnt that bad to be outside alot of the year. i cant remember a winter dropping below 55 or so, never saw snow till i was about 7 or 8 when my mom and i moved to new york.

when i met my wife and we started dating she told me her dad was a hunter. i thought "aw man, ive done it this time", and after i met him and saw all his mounts, ooohed and ahhhed over his gun collection and listened intently to his hunting stories, i was hooked. then i found out my wife is a hunter, and i figured i better do something about this, so i took my hunters safety course and started hunting with him. my wife has been out of hunting for a while due to deploying to iraq the same time as i was(we didnt know eachother then) and being pregnant twice. but she said shes going hunting next year, but it will be bow season.

man do i know how to rant.

rant over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My dad and my grandpa. My grandpa was the best hunter and the besst shot I've ever known. When he would see a deer he would tell you where he was going to shoot it and shoot it there. He could hit his empty 30-06 casings at 100 yards and have the bullet not break the edges. Man I wish he had lived long enough to see me kill my first deer.:sad: But I know he was up there somwhere looking down on me smiling when I killed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I owe it all to my Dad. He started taking me with him when I was just 8 or 9. I got a buck my second day out on my very first season. I was just 12 years old.. My dad was so happy. Even remember seeing just a little bit of a tear there.

Just last week, opening day of PA Rifle season, I made the trip back home just to be with my Dad on opening day and to share in the memories. Dad is now almost 78. Two hours into the season, Dad got his buck, a nice fat 5 point. I was the one this time with the tear in my eye. I hope I have a few more of those memories with him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.