• Ruger m77 (bolt) 30.06

Votes: 10 38.5%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, newbie here.
I'm in the market for a rifle. What do you guys think? Remmington 750, Remmington 700 or the Ruger m77? All 30.06. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Such as? I'm trying to learn. So that soon I can make a very informed decision. Thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
Look at bolt actions for a new shooter/hunter

The most trouble free/idiot proof action that is really easy to master is the bolt action. A single shot is also tf/ip but it is limiting because a follow up shot is slow and the rifle is totally unloaded if the chamber is empty. I like to go into the woods with the rifle loaded but with a chamber empty. I have taught my Sons the same safety rules. After we get into position and closer to shooting time we quietly chamber a round. The bolt actions are so popular every manufacturer makes them and the choices are endless. There are new bolt actions available for around 300.xx that have good actions/barrels/triggers. Mounting a scope is easy on a bolt actions and you have an easy to operate safety. A semi-auto in my opinion should not be considered for a new shooter/hunter. They have some real advantages but several disadvantages cancel out the plusses for a new shooter/hunter. A lot of hunters swear buy their lever actions but again I think the bolt actions are easier to master at the range while learning to shoot. The better you get at the range the safer and more confident you will be in the woods. There is no subsitute for range time.

Karl

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Very true, I have been hitting the range almost weekly. I love it. I have been going with a friend of mine who has close to 40 years of hunting/shooting under his belt. He's a great teacher. I have been shooting his guns. I don't know, call me crazy, but I want one.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I happen to own all three. I have 5 Ruger M77s, one Rem 750 (.35 Whelen) and one M700/.270. The numbers should already tell you which of the three is my favorite. Rugers are sturdy, well made rifles and one of my favorite features is their integral rings, which do not need a base. This is the best system out there for easily securing a scope and it also saves $$ by not forcing you to spend ~ $50. on quality rings and bases. This additional $$ can then be used to perhaps upgrade your scope choice a bit.

The 30/06 is a great all-around cartridge (one of my M77s is an '06). I would suggest, however, that you perhaps also handle a M77 in .308 to compare it's feel with the '06 in your hands. The differences are slight (slightly shorter OAL & lighter weight), but you might find the S/A .308 vs the L/A 30/06 feels slightly better in hand to you and the cartridges are very close ballistically.

Good luck with whichever rifle you choose! :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'm more of a Remington man than any others. I thing dollar for dollar you just get more especially the model 700's. Don't overlook a pump rifle in 270-30-06 they are accurate. I grew up with rem shot guns so my first rifle a model 760 rem pump. I still have it and will shoot where I aim. Take a look at the Rem classic models as well as the Rem mountain rifle line they are great rifles!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. Pros and cons of each by people that own them. Please take a second to vote too.:biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm definitely looking for a 30-06. So far the Remmington 700 & the Ruger M77 are tied. Can I please have some more info please. Vote please!

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Remington has had some issues in recent years so I guess I would lean more toward the Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I may be biased as Ruger is just down the road & I have family & freinds that work there but I have & do own many. My Fav. being my generation 1 M77 All weather (custom) but with that said the M77 is a ruged reliable straight shooter & Ruger's customer service is awesome if you ever need it. long story so I will make it short lent my rifle out to a freind & was left on their porch all hunting season barrel got rusty called Ruger & they reblued the gun for free. I have never had any issues with a ruger firearm mechanicly or cosmeticly the only one I didn't care for was the P-series pistols & only because I have small hands & the gun were fat gripped & the best part All Rugers are made 100% in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Notes on the M77 and M700

There are 3 versions of the Ruger M77, early model with thumb safety, mkII with a 3 position safety similar to a M70, and the hawkeye version with a modified stock and hawkeye trigger. I liked the original thumb safety model location of the safety, but the new hawkeye stock and trigger are an improvement over the mkII. I would be happy with the new hawkeye version.

All Remington M700s are not equil. There are alot of different versions available for the M700. The lower pricepoint ones are not as good in my opinion as the top of the line versions. I have read about unhappy customers with the entry level SPS versions. At one time an ADL was the same as a BDL with a cheaper stock, this is not the case anymore. If you are looking at the CDL or Mountain rifle M700s you will not be disappointed. I think these are quality rifles with care taken on assembly.
I have seen the cheaper SPS versions shoot well at the range but would be nervious after buying one until I verified that it was a good shooter at the range.

You are looking at quality rifles, handle both and go with the one that feels the best in your hands. Make sure you tell us which you ended up with. I am a lover of the 30-06, but in reality a Deer doesn't know different whether it was hit by a 7mm-08, .308, .270, or 30-06. There are real advantages to short action rifles, with few disadvantages.

Karl

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much guys. So much good info here!

·
Registered
824 Posts
For a "newbie", I would NOT recommend the semi-auto version primarily due to needing to learn what I call rifle marksmanship basics - safety, breathing control, etc. Go with a bolt action - less moving parts, better overall reliability, highly stable shooting platform, etc.

I have two Remington rifles, both are semi-auto, both of them either as old or older than I am. Both were purchased new by my grandfather and I inherited them. Model 81 in .300 Savage and Model 740 in .244/6mm Remington. I recommended the bolt action over the semi-auto because I've been around firearms most of my life. I learned safety and breathing control from my grandfather. It was reinforced with a 20 yr career in the military. I have several bolt action rifles and am using one of those this season as my 'preferred' choice. Last year I think it was the Model 81 . . . or was that the year before??? (Have CRS syndrome - y'all know what I'm talking about . . . . Can't Remember Shhhtuff)

But like others have said, this is a personal choice. I think the first rifle I bought for deer was a Marlin 336C in .30/30. The multiple safety options with half-cock, hammer forward, button safety, etc. makes it a very safe to carry, but that is also only as good as the person carrying it. I trained both my son's first on the Marlin primarily due to its many safety features. They've moved on to bolt action models in .270, but that's another story.

Please let us know what your final choice is . . . . pictures would be nice. <grin>

RR

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will definetly post pics. I still haven't made up my mind and am still saving money. I am married and a father of 3. It might take awhile. Lol.
I have shot the remmington 742 and the remmington 7400. However i have heard so many good things about the remmington 700 and the ruger m77. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I shot the Ruger M77 today. I went to the range today with my buddy selling the M77. It feels so good. I shot some pretty tight groups. I'm real happy with it. Saturday I will be taking it out hunting. If all goes well I think that will be the one. Once I own it pics will follow.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I cant honestly offer advise against the Ruger because I have never shot one. I have however shot and own several Remington long arms and can attest to their quality. at least ones older than 15 years or more. I have a 700 BDL that is very nice to shoot. never had any kind of adverse issue with either.
good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
271 Posts
rifle choice

I have a 5 year old Ruger M77 MkII.Laminated stock,stainless barrel.I've killed two doe with it.Love it..243 caliber.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a 5 year old Ruger M77 MkII.Laminated stock,stainless barrel.I've killed two doe with it.Love it..243 caliber.
This is a 30-06 with a black synthetic stock and a stainless steel barrel. Let's see if I can post a picture.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts