Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So this year I didn't get a deer tag and there isn't any for over the counter sale. But I did draw an antilope tag. But here in vernal utah. I litterally have to dodge these duded driving to work. And the area the tag is for I could shoot once and hit 4. I have always been in to the hunt/stalk. And spotting. But with these I drive by the area every day for work. So I know the area. And know there there. But I guess it just bums me out. But for the ol .270 win. You think 110gn would work? I think 130's would put to much of a hole in it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Would you be able to try it with a muzzle loader to make it more of a challenge? I use a 1941 Mosin Nagant rifle for deer hunting, that adds more fun to hunting I think because its more of a challenge.

·
Registered
824 Posts
.270 Win/130 grain doesn't put too much of a hole into a deer as long as you're aiming at the right area of the deer in the first place. The "kill zone" is all vitals and no meat so you shouldn't have to worry about the size of the hole.

As for shooting the Mosin Nagant, I've used mine quite successfully here in Central Texas as well. It may "only" have open sights, but it's never let me down yet.

R

·
0 Posts
I also like projectw

I also like projectweightloss.com. I only dioscvered it a couple of weeks ago, and I use it every day. It has really clean graphics and weight loss charts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good input fellas. I was talking to a buddy I work with. He said I could use his nef in .243 I was diggin the single shot thing. And a ground blind. For limited sight. And movement. I have always wanted a muzzle loader. But don't know enough to hunt with one. I wouldn't trust my shot. I'm working on archery. But I'm pretty crappy. But practice make perfect.

·
Registered
799 Posts
forget the firearm and use a bow. that will even the odds. you can use a bow to fill your tag, cant you?

R

·
0 Posts
up top? If so, and i

up top? If so, and if Dennis's has that it should nroarw things way down, no? It's been 20yrs since I've owned a M95 (I need to correct that, I'll add it to my Amazon wish list, heh) so my memory of how it looked is more then a little fuzzy.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the ol' 270 and a 130 is all i have ever used rifle wise while in the woods.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do like the spot and stalk. But they are everywhere. Out here its like spot and try not to spot ha ha. But I am not sure if I could use anything other than gun. I was thinking something like wrist rocket. And some steelies. Just kidding. But I think I fount the ticket. Some brown bear soft points and the trusty sks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
when i had my YUGO SKS i was shooting the Wolf Classic and some other cheapey brand from Cheaper Than Dirt...got 640 rounds for like 80 bucks. great functioning and not really to dirty like most other steel case rounds. i think they were 124 grain...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts