Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you guys start using the rattling bag/antlers? I always thought it was at the start/peak of the rut, which here is Early Nov. Talked to some people that start much earlier. Just wandering when to bring 'em out and start bangin?:wallbash:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I rattle all year long. Many times you can get deer curious as to what is going on and they will come sneak a peak. I do rattle much heavier during the rut but I think a quick few bursts of rattling can do you good early in the season when the young little bucks are starting to get the inkling of the rut. I think it works all the way into the late season as well because then you have some of the bucks who still have that feeling and want to get that last doe bred for the year.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
not a big fan of rattling.i hunt on overhunted state land and feel it just scares the deer away

·
Registered
72 Posts
I dont rattle either. The buck to doe ratio is too low and since I have only heard 1 fight in 30 years of hunting I only grunt occationally. I know the fight I heard was genuine because it went on after shooting light was gone. I tried to intercept them in the dark to at least hear em run off but saw nuthin:confused:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I start Rattling about 10 below zero, by then ALL my bones are rattling real good :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
BB you're still good, I think I start at about 25*. I like to rattle in the morning during the rut/pre rut. You can't beat a set of real antlers a 8pt then saw off the brow tines. I know who saws an 8 pt rack? Maybe I should have said use an extra set of antlers or whatever you got.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts