Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally saw a nice doe tonight and got a shot off. Knocked her down but she got up and ran right into the one place I really did not want to go looking. Place we just had our timber harvested so stumps and fallen trees everywhere not to mention briars 2" long. Was warm out so I was only wearing blujeans and my lowtop boots so trying to make my way through was great fun but I didnt wanna leave my deer for the buzzards.

I could hear that she was down somewhere I just couldnt get to her. But when something like this gets stuck where that deer was I figured no way in hell i was gonna get there and even if I did would have been impossible to drag her out by myself. Also was getting dark quick. In case your wondering what got stuck back there it was one of these:

Anyone else given up looking for a deer they know where its down but just impossible to get to because of the terrain? Should I have kept trying to get to the deer?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I have went into hip deep swamp and knee deep creeks to get to deer before, not to mention prickery, thorny junk too. Well as long as you feel that you have done everything in your power and have absolutely exhausted yourself in trying to locate that deer then I guess you can call it quits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just went through the same thing. I had to back out and come back the next day. I looked for hours, found it (half eaten by coyotes), and dragged what was left out about a half mile. I personally feel if you shoot it, keep at it. It may be tough and hard work but get it, you shot it. Unless you lose the blood trail after looking for a long, long time. If you know where it is (approximately) you owe the game and yourself the respect of making every single effort.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I think we've all been there and done that. I hate swamps! This year in PA it was a 2 hr drag with briars and mountain laural :ranting:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Im sorry and dont take offense but you pulled the trigger and its your job to try and get that deer.Why hunt there if you cant retrieve the animal,what if it suffered laying there for hours.You could have found it and quartered it .Im with timberghost you owe it to the animal otherwise dont pull the trigger.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree ! You owe it to the animal to do your best in finding it. If the terain is that bad I would suggest you either a head shot or don't hunt if you don't want to track. If your just filling a freezer, I prefer head shots myself mostly because of no meat damage and I can make the most out of the animal, but for a plus in your case they drop right there as well. No tracking.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I somewhat disagree with the above posters... while I respect their opinion, sometimes you just have to call it quits. You as a hunter, have no control over where a deer is going to go when it's hit. Yes, the ideal shot is for them to drop right then and there, but this isn't a perfect world. From the pics, it looks like just part of the forest was being logged and therefore, the doe just decided to hide out and die in that thick stuff. It happens. I've had to exhaust looking for deer that I knew were dead because I couldn't find them or did not have access to land where they went to. Many times, they'll jump onto neighbors land and if I don't have their phone number and can't FIND someone who knows them, I'm not going to break the law and get a hefty fine by trespassing. I have to call it quits. That's hunting, it happens, and yes it's bad that the deer wasn't found, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Tator
I agree sometimes the circumstances limit you to have to call it quits. heck I lost2 deer I have shot but I did search for 3 days after until I was positive I was not going to find it
I may be wrong & I am sorry if I am it sounds to me reading the post like he was not properly prepared to hunt where he was hunting. If it was that thick & swampy I would have had to pass on that area or dress appropriately & carry the essential items to make a recovery. Maybe it is me but it is one thing I do when stepping into an area is making sure if I shoot will I be able to get a deer out of there the best I can
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
maybe.... but the way I read it he shot her and then she ran into that stuff. So I was taking it as though he wasn't hunting in the thick stuff but she had ran into it once shot. If he WAS hunting in the thick and then couldn't get to her or get her out, then I agree with you 100% gfd! :)

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
yeah not really sure how it went down
the real point is there is no worse feeling then not being able to recover your animal the doe I shot in NY I had to leave over night as it was getting dark & Iwith the bow wanted to give her time I knew she was dead but killed me to leave it till morning did not sleep well that night

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The point is you have to be prepared for anything, the game deserves it. I too have lost deer in archery and makes me sick for years later, however, I knew that after 1-2 days looking they stayed on their feet for the duration of the search and maybe made it, never know. It's never a good feeling when game isn't recovered, it really blows big time. I'll tell you I remember the lost ones more clearly than all the recovered ones over the years and that's the truth.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it was that thick & swampy I would have had to pass on that area or dress appropriately & carry the essential items to make a recovery. Maybe it is me but it is one thing I do when stepping into an area is making sure if I shoot will I be able to get a deer out of there the best I can
just my 2 cents
Honestly didnt realize how bad it was until I was a few feet in. I havent hunted that part of my land because with all the cutting and then them spraying I figured the deer would have moved away from it. But since everyone said all my deer were nocturnal because of my activity in the woods in my other post this stand was my only option as it hasnt been hunted all year and is on the other side of my property. Had it been a morning hunt I would have gone back to my cabin, put on snake boots, thicker clothers and jacket so the briars wouldnt have bothered me. But even if I did make it to the deer wasnt like I could just sling it over my shoulder and walk back out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I want to share a personal story that made me sick and furious:ranting:.Years ago while bowhunting with my cousin he set up right next to the neighbors line where we couldnt hunt or have permission to go on.That night he shoots a six pt with the bow.It takes off and runs of course on the neighbors.When i met my cousin i notice where he is set up and say what the hell did u think would happen?He tells me oh well we cant track it so thats it.I was pissed and got into a huge argument with him and my uncle and told him he was an idiot for setting up there and doing that to the deer.He slept like a baby, i was sick to my stomach, and the next year i bought my own place and never hunted with him again.The moral of the story is yes things do happen bad hits,lost blood trails,but we have to prepare ourselves as best we can to be able to cleanly harvest an animal and be able to recover it.Sorry about the length of the post.Ps. Best decision i ever made the number of deer he has wounded is insane.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Honestly didnt realize how bad it was until I was a few feet in. I havent hunted that part of my land because with all the cutting and then them spraying I figured the deer would have moved away from it. But since everyone said all my deer were nocturnal because of my activity in the woods in my other post this stand was my only option as it hasnt been hunted all year and is on the other side of my property. Had it been a morning hunt I would have gone back to my cabin, put on snake boots, thicker clothers and jacket so the briars wouldnt have bothered me. But even if I did make it to the deer wasnt like I could just sling it over my shoulder and walk back out.
thomasmgp it isnt always as easy as just slinging it over your shoulder & walking back out. Could you gone back in there in the morning with help?
for me if it takes all day to get it out that is what I do
I guess all I can say is it happened it sucks learn from it

well said spiker I try to always scout the land i am going to hunt every year as the vegetation changes constantly
even new places like first time in NY. I take a day or so looking at the land before hunting just so I know what I may be in for

·
Registered
824 Posts
I figure that this "horse" has been beaten enough . . .

As long as the hunter makes an honest, viable attempt, then it should be enough.

RR

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
starting to think I didnt even hit the deer in the first place. Never saw blood just assumed I hit her because of the way she reacted when I fired. What I heard that I thought was her down might have actually been her making noise because she got suck somewhere and was trying to get free. Its been 3 warm days in the 60s and I havent seen the buzzards circling yet.

·
Registered
986 Posts
no excuse, you shot it go get it.you also know there is a law for that? wanton waste,just because it hard is not a reason to waste that deer.if ya cant drag it out,them quarter it up and back pack it out:wacko::wacko::wacko:

·
Registered
799 Posts
no excuse, you shot it go get it.you also know there is a law for that? wanton waste,just because it hard is not a reason to waste that deer.if ya cant drag it out,them quarter it up and back pack it out:wacko::wacko::wacko:
Provided it is legal in your state to quarter game. In Illinois, it is a no no.
and there are limitations to most all the responses here. you have to make your best effort to retrieve shot game, and in the end, the best judge of your best effort, is you.

If others are to be the judge of what is and isn't enough effort, then I might say anything short of 6 days tracking don't cut it. now how many are guilty of not enough effort?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if ya cant drag it out,them quarter it up and back pack it out:wacko::wacko::wacko:
What does that even mean? I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant. Did get one tonight. 114 pound doe for the freezer. Pulled the trigger, it dropped, twitched twice and that was that. Again still no buzzards so I know for a fact that I missed that deer now.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Field Dress

What does that even mean? I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant. Did get one tonight. 114 pound doe for the freezer. Pulled the trigger, it dropped, twitched twice and that was that. Again still no buzzards so I know for a fact that I missed that deer now.
Most processing plants I know charge an additional $25-$50 to field dress or remove all the 'innards' of the deer. There are plenty of videos available to show you how its done. Takes no more than 15-30 minutes from start to finish. The 30 minutes is taking the additional time for a buck to remove scent glands, scrotum, etc. It's all part of the process of shooting deer and something I've tried passing down to my children - so they know how it's done.

When shooting my first deer, my wife showed me how to do it. She'd watched her dad do it when she was growing up.

Personally, I think that you're missing out by not dressing your deer and leaving it all for the processing plant to do. But that's a personal opinion.:coffee:

RR

1 - 20 of 29 Posts