Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
An area can only accomodate so many bucks but the rut will draw bucks into AND away from areas continually,,
So some of the bucks taken from that area may have actually been from miles away.
Id say fill your tag and don't lose sleep over doing it.

If a doe is in heat she will draw bucks in and if they like your 100 you will have him next year. You may end up with a doe though if only bucks are killed.

· Registered
137 Posts
Body Bag I dont know if I agree with what your saying. "If a doe is in heat she will draw bucks in and if they like your 100 you will have him next year"

What do ya'll other hunters think? I think the buck will return home after he has done his rutting. I dont think he will top a rise of a hill and say. "wow this 100 acres looks nice, I think I will stay here." Granted he may relocate sometime or other as he matures and becomes more cautious to his surroundings but once he has matured and grown up I think his home base will stay that way until he is pushed out. Another words if the buck is rutting than hot doe is all thats on his mind. Finding a new home is not.
I may be completely wrong, but I have never thought of bucks as having a home, just a range. I have never seen a pattern of movement that the same buck returns to in the offseason year after year (or really in the same year for bait food) so I have always considered them pure nomads.

They know where the food, women and water are but don't move there. They just keep it in range. So if you have better amenities than your neighbor they will travel through your 100 more often.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.