Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the entire summer getting ready for Novemeber up here in Michigan. I have several stands & ground blinds set up, rifles are sighted in, clothes are ready to go, schedule & spots are planned out however being my only second year hunting I do have one question for all you vets out there. Last year (my first year hunting) the group would go out early and then come in for lunch around noon and then go back out about 3:00. This year I plan on spending all day in the woods and I was wondering what do you guys eat while out in the field. Basically looking for some ideas on foods that obviously don't deter deer, make you tired or cause any bathroom issues and foods that keep you full w/o eating a ton. I'll be in the air in the first part of the day and then move into a ground blind later and thats when I'll eat since I will be more concealed then.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
PBnJ ,apples,water,gatorade.peel the apples and keep the skin as a cover scent:thumbup:

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
granola bars and a coca cola OR Esther's :wub: homemade donuts and a thermos of Coffee

·
Registered
790 Posts
Breakfast bars and trail mix of various flavors. Pumpkin seeds, sun flower seeds, peanuts. You have to take them out of their packages and put them in zip lock baggies. Their packages are too noisy to use in the woods.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
To keep me full I go with those high protein/high carb candy bars. There like $3 a piece but with 40 gr of protein and 40 gr of carbs they fill up the stomach decent. They are not always the best tastin and very hard to chew up when their frozen but they do the trick on a all dayer hunt. If I dont take that I go with crackers and jerky. Always in a ziploc bag.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, sounds like some good ideas, all pretty much stuff I would eat normally. I've always been a big eater of sunflower seeds but I learned last year while I was hunting to not get the salted ones, makes you thirsty as all get out, I think this year I will have to invest in the non-salted ones!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I usually keep a couple of things in my hunting shack like cashews,peanuts,hard candy(apple flavor)of course lol.i bring in a thermous of coffee,a soda or juice.i have a small cupboard in my shack that has a door so the mice,squarrls etc... Can't get in so everything stays until the end of season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts