Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Scent loc thread got me thinking about all the stuff hunters carry in the woods. I have seen, and heard, hunters going through the woods looking like they are the chuckwagon on a wagon train because they carried so much.

Besides the weapon what do you carry? I'll try my list now but will probably have to edit when I look at my backpack.

Leatherman
GPS
rangefinder
flashlight
2 25' ropes to pull equipment into a tree
water bottle
safety harnes
Binoculars

·
Registered
591 Posts
Rangefinder
Binos
Grunt Calls
Flashlight
Head Light
Knife
License
Pull Rope
Notebook & Pen
Bottle of water
Scent
Phone
Toilet paper :rolleyes:
Wet wipes
Pruners

Often but not always...
Video camera
Map & Compass
2 way radio

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
for archery in rut hunting
2 knives
electrician's tape
drag rope
small bottle of scent control
deer scent
water/juice
calls
pull up rope
pencil
radio
rattling horns tied down
gerber multi-tool
candy

·
Registered
591 Posts
for archery in rut hunting
2 knives
electrician's tape
drag rope
small bottle of scent control
deer scent
water/juice
calls
pull up rope
pencil
radio
rattling horns tied down
gerber multi-tool
candy
Electriian's Tape? What for?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
tape has many uses but I use it to secure the step rail sections together to carry in/out, and to tape on tree branches to my stand/ladders ect for camo.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hand gun
knife
magnesium stone
cell phone
small bottle of sent killer
"the can" bleet call
grunt tube
rattleing bag

·
Registered
798 Posts
besides the obvious (rifle, bullets, license, knife, food, water, etc.),
binos
GPS (will add a SPOT personal locator if hunting alone)
topo map
T.P. and wipes (serve double duty of cleaning blood off hands, hopefully)
rope - two (drag and lighter one)
bandana
electrician's tape
first-aid kit (You are taking a big chance not including this. I've always carried one, and have used it on occasion - bad slip with a super sharp knife one year after gutting out a nice antelope buck.)
deer/elk calls
micro leatherman
home-made tripod for shooting (it works great!)
camera
flashlight (kind that mounts on hat)
matches or some kind of fire starter
space blanket
cell phone
two way radio if hunting with companions
I know I'm forgetting stuff, but will get back when I remember

·
Registered
852 Posts
Electrican's tape uses

I don't know if anyone else on the board does this but I always place a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of my rifle. I shoot right through the tape. I know the Marine snipers also do this and figure it works for them. I too carry some tape so after I shoot and prior to heading back out I can again cover the muzzle with tape prior to dragging the deer out. I haven't checked it but it may effect the shot slightly. Not having to ever worry about something getting into the barrel is worth it.

Karl

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
license/tags
cell phone
GPS
range finder
knife
rope
couple safety pins
2 way radios when neccessary
sm. bottle scent away
can call

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't know if anyone else on the board does this but I always place a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of my rifle. I shoot right through the tape. I know the Marine snipers also do this and figure it works for them. I too carry some tape so after I shoot and prior to heading back out I can again cover the muzzle with tape prior to dragging the deer out. I haven't checked it but it may effect the shot slightly. Not having to ever worry about something getting into the barrel is worth it.

I do this all the time in bad weather. You can buy little condom-type muzzle covers for this. Never checked how they effect bullet flight at the range, but killed every deer or elk I ever used them on. (Although it's a little hard getting a condom on a deer or elk!):lol:

·
Registered
168 Posts

Karl
I read an article on this where a guy did a lot of testing and basiclly there was no difference overall in accuracy. he even had one rifle that shot significantly better with the tape on.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One thing i carry i haven't seen listed is a hatchet. i use this to split pelvis and rib cage. Also, cable ties to secure the carcass tag. And FOOD!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bow and arrow
extra arrows
knife x 2
cable ties for affixing tags to deer
binox
buck bombs
fuzes and loads of scent
license and tags
gps
cell phone and baggie w internet to log on here when its slow
rattling horns
grunt calls,doe calls,fawn calls and turkey calls
two bottles of water
2-3 sets of field dressing gloves and xtra latex gloves for handling scents
cap light
snacks (apples granola soynuts etc)
extra release
2 hoist ropes
video cam and tree mount
permisson letter
1st response kit
matches
and help to drag the deer

*range finder coming next*

I need a new back pack

G

·

I do this all the time in bad weather. You can buy little condom-type muzzle covers for this. Never checked how they effect bullet flight at the range, but killed every deer or elk I ever used them on. (Although it's a little hard getting a condom on a deer or elk!):lol:
hahaha fingre cots?
i don't do the tape thing but saw/read/heard the air removes the tape before the bullet reaches the muzzle, so its not suppose to effect the bullet.

·
Registered
799 Posts
ooops.
Was going through my pack and came across another item. only this one is required by the conservation district to be carried by all hunters.
can anyone guess what it might be???

1 - 20 of 45 Posts