Deer Hunting Forums banner

What does your wife shoot?

7K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  pngndn 
#1 ·
My wife is taking up hunting if she can stop shopping.... (it will save me thousands). She has a loaner for this year but I was wondering what ya'll would recommend?

Most of our hunting is 100 yards in, but she will be on the highline some so there is multiple opportunities for a shot upto 250 yds.

Anything lighter than a .270. That kicks a little to hard for her.

#17 ·
"ammo is cheap recoil is not bad either"

I talked with my daughter the other day and she'd just watched her hubby shoot their Marlin .30/30. The way the recoil jerked his shoulder (her words), she wasn't quite sure if she wanted to get behind it at all. I'm heading there (maybe) over the holidays and intend on bringing my Savage .243 along so she could try it out.

It took a couple rounds to ensure my .30/30 was sighted in before taking it out to hunt with. .30/30 kicks almost like a .270 due to its shorter barrel and "saddle rifle" feel (personal opinion here), but it didn't stop me from dropping that 8-point buck pictured in the gallery section with it. Trust me, recoil was the last thing I felt when pulling the trigger and watching it drop.

Personal recommendation for a woman would be a .243, since I've fired it and know it's recoil and stopping power using Remington Core-Lokt 100 grain bullets. Just for giggles and grins, has anyone tried any of the 'newer' Remington semi-auto's (Model 7400 or now Model 750) lately? I have a Woodsmaster that's a couple (okay, a few) decades old and wonder how it would compare with the latest in technology.

#21 · (Edited)
What about a 7mm-08. A good flat shooter, but hardly any recoil. I don't have a lot of experience with one, I shot one 2 times, and it seemed pretty mellow. I am in the same boat trying to find something for the misses. Or a 308? I found a single shot Rossi that comes with a 20 gauge barrel and a 308 barrel for $249 at Gander Mountain. I am thinking about getting one for the misses, but I know very little about the 308 either.

#22 ·
A woman's rifle

I think that unless you reload you will want to stay with the short action calibers. A 7mm08 or a 243,260,308 should fit the bill. Of those the 243 or 260 are going to kick the least. Keep the bullet weight down for her 140gr or less in 7mm08, 150gr in 308, 100gr in 243, and I think it is also 140gr in the 260. One thing to think about is rifle fit, her arms will be a couple of inches shorter then yours so try to locate one of the youth models that have the shorter stocks. One consideration that I always tell someone looking for a rifle is make sure the trigger is clean. A cheaper bolt action will usually have a much nicer trigger than other traditional actions. Also a shorter barrel 20inches or less will make the rifle easier for her to handle and carry. Make sure that you put a sling on the rifle and just get her out the range and have fun. Don't be supprised if she outshoots you.

#24 ·
I already know she can outshoot me. It is in her genes. My Father-in-law is a shooting freak. I had her try my .270 and she put a shot touching but inside mine at 100 first try. She could only see half a scope because the eye releif - long butt of the rifle.

#25 ·
Got her a H & R 243 youth. The bull barrel and my Father-in-law's blessing sealed the deal.

Sighted it in christmas and had the honor of wearing a idiot bump from the scope. The youth part got me. I just could not stay back from the scope. Put a 1" pad on it and that helped a lot. She is happy. I am happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.