Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I had a conversation with a guy at the shooting range. Never met him before. Early in the talk, he says he never had to shoot anything over 100 yards away. So, I think, "Hey, this guy must be a pretty decent hunter if he always gets that close before shooting. Then we get to talking about eating game, and I mention that it's important to kill things quickly and that I like putting game on ice ASAP. So he responds by saying that it took an antelope that he shot last year two hours to die, because he gut shot it and ran out of bullets. At which point, I just walk away shaking my head. I mean I'm not sure I could have continued without letting out some "steam". What would you have done?

R

·
0 Posts
I'd have said good to see you at the range practicing. then walked away. unless he was really BIG or mean looking. kidding. that deal sounds wrong on so many levels that it almost hurts.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Onehorse you sure have a lot more fuse than I have, I'd like to think I could have walked away like you did but knowing me I KNOW my mouth wouldn't have been able to resist making some well deserved comment just to let him know just what kind of jerk he really is...

OR,,, I probably would have told him of the story about the guy that did the EXACT same thing he did but never hunted again because he came to realize how stupid what he did was...LOL :biggrin:

But I would rather be able to just turn and walk away shaking my head like you did.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
onehorse, you did well. Each of us probably have had at least one bad memory that we lock away and try not to dwell on. We do remember what went wrong and do our best to correct it. Discussing a bad situation as it if were normal hunting raises the blood pressure as it did to you. Always best to walk away, never does a good thing come with loaded firearms and heated tempers. That guy is not a hunter and never would be welcome around my camp fire.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would have been more upset if he said he was taking long shots when he gut shot the animal. At least he was at the range trying to improve his shooting.

·
Registered
562 Posts
gee whiz...you guys all perfect shots or what?? It seems wrong to be raking this guy over the coals without his beeing here to defend the situation. I think that many hunters have experienced a bad shot or two, but that doesn't mean they are trying to be cruel. I know that I have had a couple shots that didn't bring down the animal quickly, but it certainly was not intentional. I bet that this shot wasn't either...give the guy a break. Even a well placed bow shot does not immediately kill a deer, and I have had to track some a good distance. I just don't understand how you can judge this guy based on this story.

R

·
0 Posts
of course things go awry, but who runs out of ammo? if i can't hit what I'm shooting at in just a couple shots I'm going to stop shooting and figure out whats going wrong. Not to mention its was under a hundred yards. I carry a minimum of 5 rounds with me but don't ever think I'll be shooting all 5. I won't take 4 or 5 hale Mary shots at a running animal. Anyway I really can't think of a scenario that would put a hunter in that situation. Thats why I said it seemed wrong on more than one level. But you are right about not being able to defend himself.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If the conversation started that he was there because of the related experience then I give him credit. If however, he thinks that the described experience is a normal event then I stand by my remarks and others. I think onehorse's take on the situation was correct otherwise he wouldn't have raised the incounter for the rest of us to discuss.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
onehorse comes across as a seasoned man so i trust his judgement.most of the time you can pick up on the "vibe"the guy is sending.that"hunter" sounds like he was bragging,cuz most people wouldnt share that story.Flexi you make a valid point though

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I know that I've lost 2 gut shot deer in my whole life. Both from a treestand, with a perfectly sighted scoped rifle. One was because I shot from a left handed shooter position and the other was because of treestand "twister" all turned and contorted in an awkward position. That was quite awhile ago and I've learned my lesson: don't take a shot unless it's a perfect opportunity and consider the cruel suffering the animal may experience with a "boneheaded" shot. So far my lesson learned is paying off. I may be in the same boat as that guy but I'll never live that mistake down. I'm a jerk.

R

·
0 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a weak hand shot, if you practice it. I do. The other one, things happen and sometimes they suck. The thing is, on neither one did you watch it suffer for 2 hrs because you ran out of ammo. Even though they were gut shot if you could have found them you could have put a finish to it. Everyone makes mistakes and things do go wrong, the best we can do, and the game deserves our best, is be prepared for just about anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion he wasnt a hunter, just a shooter, I belive a true hunter respects and cares about the animals and enviroment that is around him/her. it is sad that dips like that guy are out flappin their mouth with stories like that, those are the type of guys that ruin reputations and chances for hunters and outdoorsman all around. with all the challenges and hardships we hunters are going through to keep our rights and priviledges, people like that damage our cause and way of life.... good for for walking away maturely and showing restraint. we should all be so wise as to not give the opposition more fuel for the fire.

·
Registered
517 Posts
gee whiz...you guys all perfect shots or what?? It seems wrong to be raking this guy over the coals without his beeing here to defend the situation. I think that many hunters have experienced a bad shot or two, but that doesn't mean they are trying to be cruel. I know that I have had a couple shots that didn't bring down the animal quickly, but it certainly was not intentional. I bet that this shot wasn't either...give the guy a break. Even a well placed bow shot does not immediately kill a deer, and I have had to track some a good distance. I just don't understand how you can judge this guy based on this story.
I'M WITH FLEXJ ON THIS ONE.I TO BELIEVE EVERYBODY HAS HAD A BAD SHOT ON A AN ANIMAL AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm sure many hunters have had bad shots even myself but the difference between a hunter having a bad (poorly placed) shot and this guy that onehorse encountered is,, that guy seems to boast about running out of bullets and wasnt bothered at all by what he had done causing the animal to suffer a slow painful death.

This is how I read into onehorses post about this guy and If I I'm reading it correctly it isn't about a poorly placed shot, it's more about the guys poor unethical behavoir and attitude towrds his own actions... just my opinion...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
:yes:..............

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
OOPS, I forgot to mention the most important piece of info from those two hunts. Myself and my dad attempted to find these deer all day long and also part of the next day. I was sick in the stomach for days because of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts