Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what you folks prefer to hunt with when it comes to handguns?I dont know if I prefer it or not because its the only hand gun I've hunted with: a 44mag S&W 629

·
Registered
47 Posts
Funny story; My father's dearest friend, and my landlord as a child, Wolfgang, who know resides in Pa., used to like to challenge himself. It wasn't so much about getting the trophy, it was more about how good you are with a gun. Accuracy was his goal. I can't remember the name of the gun he would use, but it was a single shot, ball and powder, and I think the range was only good at like fifty yards, and you only get one shot, and pray your that good, would go bear and mtn cat hunting with it, and sure enough would come home with a prize, almost everytime, with tall stories to go with it. If your out there Johnnie, I am sure PA. hasn't been the same, since you arrived, hope all is well.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I don't hunt with handguns but my buddy in PA uses a 480 Ruger with a red dot sight on it for bear hunting. I shot it a couple of times and no thank you. My 45's are plenty for the kind of hunting they are used for:whistling:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
When I hunt with a rifle, I always carry my .40 cal S&W Sigma Pistol
My Rifle isn't always loaded, my pistol is.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
used my old mans 44 Ruger super redhawk but realized my .270 was lighter & shorter J/K was heavy though
I do carry my Ruger LCP .380 just in case

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whats the kick like on the S&W ? With such a short barrel, it's like my 45 PS 90, I ended up selling it, and got the 9mm ladies S&W. Just love it.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I don't think it kicks bad at all, If you have a S&W .9mm the kick from that is close to how mine kicks.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Yes, I doubt anyone does but yes you can.
the Vermont Regulation regarding handgun hunting is as follows

HANDGUNS:
Wherever a rifle may be used in hunting, a handgun is
permitted.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey Whitetail Freak that pistol is identical to my old mans. Could be the same thing.
I traided my Ruger Super Blackhawk SS 4.5/8ths for it, because I got tired of my figer getting trigger bite and the trigger guard whacking the heck out of my middle finger.

The S&W 629 6" is so much more smoother and I feel more accurate.

I load a 305-gr WFN-GC bullet from Rim Rock Bullets as they sponsor my bullets for right now :coffee:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 629 has a 7 3/8 barrel the load that seems to work best is 240 nosler 22.5 w296.If I werent so computer illiterate I would send some pictures Im lucky to get words back to ya:unsure:I bought a super black hawk at a real good price,but man is it a hawg leg 10 in. barrel,Im thinking about reselling it. Bruce check your regs.,I know we're not allowed to use a bullet,I think smaller than a .357.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Gator

If I were whitetail hunting in an area where I knew for sure I was not going to run into a black or grizzly bear I would just load a 240-gr XTP bullet from Hornady

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Bruce check your regs.,I know we're not allowed to use a bullet,I think smaller than a .357.

the Vermont Regulation regarding handgun hunting reads as follows

HANDGUNS:
Wherever a rifle may be used in hunting, a handgun is
permitted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you are 100% right Whitetail Freak Hunter when it comes to bears thats a whole different bullet weight knock down power issue.the only thing I have to possibly be aware of is maybe a rabbid coon.LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
during modern firearms season handgunning is all i do i have a taurus raging bull 444ss in .44 mag a ruger super red hawk in .454 cassull and super redhawk in .480 all with burris scopes lovem all s&w is a great choice but if you want to scope it take a trip to the gunsmith thats the only drawback good luck with the handgunning it is a blast

1 - 20 of 51 Posts