Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hit with the Rage hype, I think im gonna shoot the two blade. From what i read it flys like a field tip and makes some nasty holes in a deer...good blood trails. Any one have any pros and cons on it??? What is everyone else shooting and why?

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Muzzy 3 blade 100 grain.. It works for me so I havent changed..

Im thinking wmi is a rage shooter.. We will have to see what his comments are on it..

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just bought some of the new Carbon express F-15's and they shoot great hit the same as my field points I got the mechanical ones.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Muzzy broadheads for me also, I have more faith in fixed broadheads vs. mechanical types.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Trophy Ridge SteelHeads is what the Bow shop recommended so I have stuck with them & haven't tried anything else flies like a field point & has never failed to open don't have a reason to try anything else

·
Registered
790 Posts
I like Rage and Muzzy. Rage 3 blade only because the 2 blade is too large and have heard as well as foresee inherent problems because of its size. The 3 blade works very well trust me on that one. I also shoot the Muzzy 100 4 blade just because I have shot them forever and they have never let me down. There is a new head out called Slick Trick that many of my friends are using and absolutely love them. Maybe I will give them a try.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i think i may try the slick tricks this year they get great penetration so they say and i got a buddy trying the f-15's i may shoot those then again i may shoot last years undertakers expandable not sure yet i gotta get my wife away from expandables though cause shes only shooting 40# not quite enough to open it i dont think

·
Registered
142 Posts
The f-15's will open at 40lbs. an less you don't have to worry about that I tried them on my old youth bow an they work great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Only been huntin for a few years now, but I hunt almost every day during the season and have yet to bag a nice buck. Last year I got caught up in all the hype and tried the 3 blade rage. Early in the season a REALLY nice buck strolled 10 yrds from my stand and I let em have it. The arrow hit him a little high in the vitals area and did not penetrate as deep as I thought it should. But I thought it was a good shot and I would have my buck. Moments later my huntin buddy spotted the deer runnin like a freight train on steroids, arrow still in him, on the other side of the field we were hunting. Never found him:no:
Three days later, different hunting spot, the same thing happened again. Massive blood trail dried up and the deer was gone:wallbash:
I know you are all thinking I didn't wait long enough. Maybe, but I did wait at least an hour before looking for the second buck. Frustrated I stopped by "wallies" and bought some fixed blade broadheads. Crimson something or other. Put three fat does in the freezer with those. And they all stopped runnin within 30 yrds of the shot. I'm not tryin to say the rage doesn't kill deer, there are a lot of maybe's and what-if's. But I think I'm gonna stick to "fixed" blades.
Deernuts

·
Registered
18 Posts
G5 Strikers or G5 Tekkans

The Tekkans and Strikers are plain deadly, try either of them. The Strikers are fixed heads and can just do lots of damaged the blood trails are just great, a blind man could find the deer. A friend of mine shot a big 140 class with a G5 Striker, he found it 70 yrds away and the blood trail was amazing, found blood and meat along the blood trail. The Tekkans will just plain kill the deer very quickly. I don't usually have good blood trails with the Tekkans, but have found all my deer. My buddies have used these Tekkans as well and love them. All their deer have fallen within sight. I wouldn't use any other brand than G5. They will always get my business.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only been huntin for a few years now, but I hunt almost every day during the season and have yet to bag a nice buck. Last year I got caught up in all the hype and tried the 3 blade rage. Early in the season a REALLY nice buck strolled 10 yrds from my stand and I let em have it. The arrow hit him a little high in the vitals area and did not penetrate as deep as I thought it should. But I thought it was a good shot and I would have my buck. Moments later my huntin buddy spotted the deer runnin like a freight train on steroids, arrow still in him, on the other side of the field we were hunting. Never found him:no:
Three days later, different hunting spot, the same thing happened again. Massive blood trail dried up and the deer was gone:wallbash:
I know you are all thinking I didn't wait long enough. Maybe, but I did wait at least an hour before looking for the second buck. Frustrated I stopped by "wallies" and bought some fixed blade broadheads. Crimson something or other. Put three fat does in the freezer with those. And they all stopped runnin within 30 yrds of the shot. I'm not tryin to say the rage doesn't kill deer, there are a lot of maybe's and what-if's. But I think I'm gonna stick to "fixed" blades.
Deernuts

When you say the second time it happened, was it another high hit?? The first deer might not have been hit in the vitals, it might look like a vital shot from the tree stand, but it might not have. Shot placement is the bread and butter to killing a deer with a stick and string, no matter the broadhead brand.

·
Registered
790 Posts
High in the vitals? Sound like shoulder to me or above the spine. Either way usually equals lost deer most times. Like the man said bad shot placement has nothing to do with the broad head. You really need to look at a see through picture of a deer's anatomy. The spine make a deep curve down right above the vitals, much deeper than most hunters believe.:no:

·
Registered
790 Posts
:goodposting:Excellent site Bruce. The only pic I disagree with is the first one--Too far back. This is a gut shot and can make for a long day of tracking. Mathews has a similar diagram on their site that works well also. I have seen a site that is interactive from all angles that if I can find it I will post it right away for our hunters here. Many hunters practise on 3D targets that many times the 10 ring is not exactly true. Please everyone be careful not to assume they are all correct. Please practice with these diagrams in mind for shot placement. It will help a great deal in containing tears in the field.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
wmi, You are right on the money with that first pic and I totally agree, the shot placement in that first pic is too far back, Gut shots are never good shots.
I wasn't posting it for those pics, I posted it for the detailed view of the Anatomy and I probably should have noted that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
High in the vitals? Sound like shoulder to me or above the spine. Either way usually equals lost deer most times. Like the man said bad shot placement has nothing to do with the broad head. You really need to look at a see through picture of a deer's anatomy. The spine make a deep curve down right above the vitals, much deeper than most hunters believe.:no:

Just read in a article about that deep curve, its basically a dead space and lots of hunters will shoot a deer thinking it will go down, but hey it never does.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts