Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is from another site I frequent and was posted by a friend of mine. We hunt private property that is well posted
Wow, what a morning.... I got up at 3:30 and got to my spot early enough that i was in the tree by 5:15. At 6:30, I saw grey moving through the trees at 40 yards. I picked a nice open lane and got ready to draw back. If it was not just buck only right now, I probably would have drawn back before it came out in the open. Out pops a woman out for a morning power walk dressed in grey! Then she proceeds to walk past me 3 times in 10 minutes, so finally I yelled "HEY!" and she boogied out of there quickly. I was pretty upset about having my morning blown...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a guy and girl and their boxer (the dog) walk past me last tuesday at just after 6 in the evening. Thought my evening was shot. Deer ended up not coming in til 7:08pm... not long before dark. [just to compare... the days have been relatively the same each of the past few days and the deer have been moving between 6 and 630 in that same area]:ranting:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was busted by walkers on 2 hunts last year, same property. Spoke with the caretaker (absentee owner) and I was told the neighbors asked about "illegal hunters" going on the property. He told them we had written permission and they were the ones who had clear out during hunting season. I don't want to lose this site to hunt on, but the neighbors are making a fuss. I may just afternoon hunt and give up the mornings....:confused:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
If you have walkers/joggers/bikers/hikers or any other human visitors into your hunting woods don't you think the deer see them too from time to time.
If the visitors are in those areas on a routine basis you shouldn't have any problems with the visitors as the deer have become familiar and tolerant to their presence and so should you.

I've been in this very situation several times it's no big deal at all, just think of them as "other hunters" passing thru your area as far as this woman wearing grey clothing I have to say it's a human on 2 legs not a game animal on 4 this is why it's crucial to identify your target before you take aim and don't ever use a rifle scope to try and identify what you're looking at.

One thing you and others might want to do is encourage your local newspapers to post articles before the opening of your hunting seasons to remind everyone that hunting seasons will begin soon and all hikers/bikers/walkers/joggers and even owners with pets should consider wearing proper attire for themselves and their pets.

Hunter Orange / safety Orange is not a requirement here in Vermont but every person that enters the woods during the hunting seasons is encouraged to wear it.

The woods are for all of us to share and enjoy you have to also keep in mind we're the ones in the woods armed with weapons and shouldn't be so bothered by recreational activities, they are the ones that are unarmed and have every reason to be concerned for their safety.

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

·
Registered
62 Posts
"If you have walkers/joggers/bikers/hikers or any other human visitors into your hunting woods don't you think the deer see them too from time to time.
If the visitors are in those areas on a routine basis you shouldn't have any problems with the visitors as the deer have become familiar and tolerant to their presence and so should you."

BB thats kinda what i was getting at. The deer still come around, but it may just hold em back a little bit

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am glad I hunt where I do in those situations, its a conservation district, but its officially closed during our hunts and we are instructed to call the police and report any and all intruders. People try to claim they didn't know but its posted all over and publicized in the paper.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was busted by walkers on 2 hunts last year, same property. Spoke with the caretaker (absentee owner) and I was told the neighbors asked about "illegal hunters" going on the property. He told them we had written permission and they were the ones who had clear out during hunting season. I don't want to lose this site to hunt on, but the neighbors are making a fuss. I may just afternoon hunt and give up the mornings....:confused:
I wouldn't give up the am hunt.

Let um fuss

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checking the trail cam pics, I moved my cameras back there again to see if the deer are still coming to that area in the mornings. It looks like they are only there in the afternoons, at least from the last set of pics... I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
ANYBODY hunt were there's cows?!?!?! The land I hunt has cows on it, they are alot of fun, I tell ya. They are probably the most curious creatures on God's green earth. They want to ALL crowd around you and sniff, and stare, and poop and pee. It's great. Especially if you're up in a tree. :0/

·
Registered
957 Posts
where I'm hunting I see people all the time but they are walking on the road not much you can do when hunting in someones backyard I have permission of course.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
My thoughts??? If the hunter would have shot it would have been his fault.. Got to identify the target first.

Still dangerous crazy for folks to be out walking in the woods during deer season. Especailly gun season.

Alot of folks will scope a "gray" shadow right before daylight to see if they can pick up horns in the scope. Ive done it before. Granted I never have people walking through my woods either.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Should have let the lady know bright colors or orange are in order during hunting season. The people who walk in the area I hunt all wear at least an orange hat during hunting season. Pesonally,I dont mind the walkers deer usually just wait it out and move when the coast is clear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts