Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , little background. I hunted a lot as a kid mostly waterfowl. Was in a serious car accident last spring , once I was able to walk again I wanted to get out and do everything I could.
Been hunting deer for about 7 days now 3-6 hrs a day. Seeing plenty of sign , wind in my face. Havent even seen a doe yet.This is in an are where I usualy see 2-3 deer a week just when driving.
Also , does poop pile size ( pellet size) mean anything about deer size.
Thank all

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Yeah like savage said.. patience. That has happened to all of us. More time in the stand would not hurt you either.

The crap size is a huge topic at times. One would think that the bigger the droppings size the bigger the bodied deer though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I keep readin paitiance and persistance , I have the persistance part down , the paitiance , thats another story.Wher I live is shotgun only and I have a doe permit for this WMU , but 20 min west is rifle , I like it there so much better because access is so easy . NH is a right to hunt state.I have been hunting in the rifle area, thinking bout staying closer to home and if nothing else filling that doe tag. My orihginal plan was to get a buck then fill doe , now Ill be happy just to see a buck. Hunted a new ( to me ) area 1/2 acre woode section between 3 fields , in that 1/2 afre saw 9 scrapes , and about 18 pop piles 4 that days. Tracks everywhere. Could they be very nocturnal this time of yr?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I think that I'm hitting up all the night time travel trails because I see massive sign, you name it it's there but no day time sightings on most of my hunts. It may be a matter of your hunts just being in the night time travel zones.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Steve - Sounds like you are hunting the Mason/Wilton area. I filled my M-tag and also am pursuing the bucks with a rifle in this area. Focus on finding the does and lay down some doe estrus in a scent dripper with a mock scrap within 100 yards of your stand. The unbred does will enter there 28 day estrus cycle within the next 2 weeks. The doe estrus juice can be effective to the end of rifle season.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i think you need to stick to one area for your first time so you get to know the area real well.I did the same thing in the begining still do I like to find new spots to hunt,but to score you need to be patient and stay put.My 2 cents

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve - Sounds like you are hunting the Mason/Wilton area. I filled my M-tag and also am pursuing the bucks with a rifle in this area. Focus on finding the does and lay down some doe estrus in a scent dripper with a mock scrap within 100 yards of your stand. The unbred does will enter there 28 day estrus cycle within the next 2 weeks. The doe estrus juice can be effective to the end of rifle season.
Actualy I been hunting a farm in temple and a group of old hayfields on the Sharon /Jaffery line. Went ealry this AM, sat patiant, at first light a nice 6 or 8 came out into the filed. When I clickedmy safety off he heard it and bolted. Couldhave shot him in the backside but that is a shot I would rather not take. Ill be back there tommorow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SO where in NH are you ? Im Nashua.
Steve

·
Registered
389 Posts
sounds like you have your answer as far as what are you doing wrong. wrong place wrong time till this a.m. only suggestion I would make is the use of a game cam if possible to see when they are traveling where.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
amazing how they can hear that tiny CLICK so far away.KEEP DIGGING BRO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actualy he was only about 60 yards, was first light on a cloudy morning. So do you think he will be back tommorow AM , or should I give it a day?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
go back all he heard was a twig snapping:lol::lol::lol: good luck you'll get em

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Try turning around. :) Seriously, I don't know about where you hunt but the deer I hunt follow their nose alot. If the wind is in your face the deer may be comming in from behind and scenting you. Try different locations in the area and see if there is a difference.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I havnt seen any fresh sign since I saw this guy.About 35 scrapes in the area.All have leaves and pine needles on em. Do they rescape em or just pee on em?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Scrapes usually go dormant when the rut kicks in because the bucks become to busy chasing does that they don't have enough time to redo scrapes. But they will become active when the rut slows a little. Depending on the rutiing activity in your area I don't know if it passed already. Most of the time a buck will always paw the ground clean before urinating in it. But the main focus of a scrape is the overhanging licking branch. It's like the major communication point.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Actualy I been hunting a farm in temple and a group of old hayfields on the Sharon /Jaffery line. Went ealry this AM, sat patiant, at first light a nice 6 or 8 came out into the filed. When I clickedmy safety off he heard it and bolted. Couldhave shot him in the backside but that is a shot I would rather not take. Ill be back there tommorow.
My hunting buddy shot and missed a doe that was at the feeder we set up. we found urine where she was standing, how long until she returns to the feeder? or a buck comes along because of the urine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guys Hello From South Texas This Is My First Year Hunting And Yesterday I Killed My First Deer Which Turned Out To Be A Spike. Going For A Big One Next Time Also Hunting Is Patience Just Keep Going Whre You HAve Seen The Deer And Sooner Or Later You Will Get A Shot At Them

1 - 20 of 38 Posts