Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a disappointing start to our second MZ season, two hard days Mon and Tues with no deer seen from the stand, I changed gears and moved 60 miles and took two good does Wed.

Thursday I went back and hunted mid day starting at 12:30 and no more got sat down when the first buck came across the field I was watching. It was a good size six point and I let it go. 30 minutes after that I saw a doe go through a gap in the tree line to the next field and she looked like she might have a buck after her.

The gap she went across was only about ten yards wide and right at 100 yards away from my ground blind. So I got turned that way and put the MZ on the shooting stick and waited. It took about 5 minutes and out steps an eight point.

I could tell he had good enough G2's and G3's but I wasn't sure about the brow tines so I held off. He stopped right in the opening and locked down staring at something far to my left. I am trying to see the tines but he doesn't turn to give me the look.

I am with my brother and we talk about him on the radios for a good ten minutes maybe longer. I only have the one buck tag left and I wanted to make sure he was at least a 2.5 year old. Finally he looks my way and I can see brow tines. It's the moment of truth shoot or don't shoot. Do I end my season now on this deer?

Well I know once the trigger is pulled there is no taking it back, it will do what it is made to do, the deed will be done. Call me, week but after a lifetime of hunting where in prior years it would be the buck of many seasons, I pulled the trigger. He faded in a cloud of smoke. After the smoke cleared hear he comes back into the field at full speed and does a head over heals flop.

So now I'm done. It's been a great season with 6 kills. Three bucks and three does. The last one is no monster but a solid eight point, no regrets.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
congrats on a good season and a full freezer

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Congrats man. Sounds like a good season. :biggrin:

If you dont want your Tenn season to end you can always hunt up my way. With a Sportsman license or Type 94 permit the doe are 3 a day in unit L.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yea it is good to have a full freezer especially when its venison. 6 deer on the season is not bad at all me and my hunting party of 5 got 5 deer opening morning.........

Great job. thats easily enough venison until next season ( if your the only one eating)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats man. Sounds like a good season. :biggrin:

If you dont want your Tenn season to end you can always hunt up my way. With a Sportsman license or Type 94 permit the doe are 3 a day in unit L.
That's true but I've got enough meat for now and no buck tags, time to see if the Crappie are biting.:biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts