Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to improve quality as I learn new things. I used California Buckeye and rosewood. With a few more hours buffing this one will be my new hunting knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you sir, I do try to improve from my mistakes which are many. My son seems to find everyone. :boxing: It is fun and man does it ease the mind by staying busy! The rosewood is from the same guy I bought the Win model 70 rifle. The wood pre-dates the 50's. He was going to add a forearm tip and pistol grip to the rifle but decided not to. I'm glad to be able to transform the wood into something usefull. I only have enough to do one or two more. It stinks pretty bad when sanding it and it irrated the sinuses too. Very dense and oily.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Coming from the grand master, I appreciate the thumbs up. I have started to draw out the concepts on paper now before I start. I'm thinking a 2/3 bone with a tail of the dark rosewood??? Looks good on paper anyways. :confused: :coffee: Origionally I thought the wood was claro-walnut but got educated. It's nice to work with.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
awesome production HM, this new knife looks fantastic...:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks BB, I need a spindle sander if I'm going to continue to do this much longer. Not sure about cutting and grinding my own steel yet?? I think I need several projects before I try that. I'd like to get my initials stamped into the blades or acid etchings and that will be on the agenda as budget allows. Maybe Yoda the grand teacher will school us on acid etchings and or stamping blades, especially who tools custom head stamps :whistling: I have been told adding the maker's initials adds value if you want to sell something. I don't know just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks BB, I need a spindle sander if I'm going to continue to do this much longer. Not sure about cutting and grinding my own steel yet?? I think I need several projects before I try that. I'd like to get my initials stamped into the blades or acid etchings and that will be on the agenda as budget allows. Maybe Yoda the grand teacher will school us on acid etchings and or stamping blades, especially who tools custom head stamps :whistling: I have been told adding the maker's initials adds value if you want to sell something. I don't know just thinking out loud.
I use one of these.

They work great in a drill press on high speed. Drum Sander Mandrels.

I can make a post tonight on marking blades. There are a few options.

Your eye for combining handle materials is really good. Bone with dark wood looks very nice. I think you should try it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.