Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crow hunting tips wanted:crow hunting gun "requirements":confused::confused:

help will be aprecciated

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
camo a good crow call i use "hammering crow mouth call and a 12 gauge.dont forget face and hands .:ph34r:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agree with Joel. Those guys have some good eyes and are considered the most intelligent bird on earth. They have been know to respond to rifle shots during deer season to tackle the gut piles. Use #4 shot or larger. They are tough too. Keep in mind, if you wound one several more will respond to that. Don't know why but it happens.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
prop up the dead ones as decoys.:whistling:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
that does it im going sunday:ibtl:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks.oh and what range would a 16 ga with 4,5,or 6 shot be efective at, its a single shot

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
not sure never used a 16 gauge before.never heard of a 16 gauge before

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
When I was a bit younger (13 or so) Me, my dad, and 2 older brothers used a variety of shotguns. But we had so many crows we just sat under a big tree on the edge of a corn field in lawn chairs. We would sit for about 15 mins, wait for alot of crows to land in the tree, everyone would take aim and someone would count down. 3-2-1 bang!!! 15 mins later they would all be back. Our farthest shot was prob not over 20 yds. As far as shot I am guessing it was probably 6. With 4 of us in the house my dad used the 12 gauge. And me and my brothers fought over the 16, 20 and 410. Whoever had the 410 shot the closest crow.

P.S. Joel I have one of those 16 gauges in my gun cabinet. Stevens Model 940A. Savage Arms. Handed down from my Grandpa who went on out of this world in 1988. I will have this gun till I die.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
thanks.oh and what range would a 16 ga with 4,5,or 6 shot be efective at, its a single shot
Venison~Lover, Here's a link to a GREAT Federal Premium usage guide...

This guide will tell you what game, what load, what distance, what choke, what gauge shotgun to use.
It's VERY useful info for all of us... there's a Print Page button on the top left of the chart...

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
im sure they're out there i just never saw one thats all

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Joel, my first gun was a Remington wingmaster 16 ga. I got it Christmas 1966. I don't know who was more happy me or my dad. It is still in my gun cabinet and its in great shape. I have been looking for an old double in 16 ga for grouse, maybe LC Smith, Parker, ect.The 16 ga went away pretty much when the 20 ga 3" mags came out, but recently there's been some new interest in the old 16 ga especially in the old doubles.:yes:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
well there ya go "ya learn something new everyday" so its between a12 and a 20?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Yep.
From big to little: 4 ga, 8 ga, 10 ga, 12 ga, 16 ga, 20 ga, 28ga, 410 ga. The 20 ga with 3" mag loads will out perform a 16 ga. The 16 is a great load for birds, rabbits. Most of today's duck/goose hunters would not think much of using a 16.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
see i didnt even know about the 4 or the 8 either. thanks im going to talk with my uncle i bet he has one of each in his safe.:whistling:

·
Registered
790 Posts
see i didnt even know about the 4 or the 8 either. thanks im going to talk with my uncle i bet he has one of each in his safe.:whistling:
Unles he was a commercial duck hunter back in the day I doubt it. They were mostly used strapped down to the bow of a boat. Shooting it would be a good way to dislocate your shoulder but only if you could pick the damn thing up. Living around the Ches.Bay you see a lot of them in museums. I did see one shot once----
The boat moved back 15' real quik.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Yep, the boats were generally called a sneak boat as the hunters (loosely labeled) would get up wind of a large flock of ducks and let the wind push them into range of the big deck gun. The object was to get as many of the ducks with one shot for the markets to sell. I believe the the guns were all black powder in 4-8 ga.

·
Registered
182 Posts
go to you tube and type in .....Punt gun (shotgun) video - best angle...... theres some other ones too. That thing is nuts!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
that i have seen before

1 - 20 of 20 Posts