Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Vermont rifle season opens this Saturday Nov. 15th and ends Sunday Nov. 30th.

Good luck to the Vermont hunters and the non-resident hunters coming into the state. :thumbup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow thats a short season! Only 15 days?? Texas' Whitetail rifle season in Nov. 1 to the 2nd or third week of Feb. depending on which part of the state you hunt in. Why so little time in VT? Deer to Hunter Ratio or something?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As far as I'm aware Vermont has never had more than the standard 2 weeks (16 day) during the rifle season.
But the Vermont Deer herd is Extremely low and extending the seasons would more than likely "hurt" the herd and not help it.
Politics has nothing to do with the Vermont season.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There I go thinking there was a legitimate conservation reason. Doh! Doesnt that casue the deer pop to go crazily high? Hunters are pretty much essential to controlling populations of deer in the world today. With such a short season I'll bet alot die from starvation and wandering into traffic and what not.

Man I'm so happy that I live in the Conservative flagship state of the US. All of our Electoral votes have gone Republican since Nixon's '72 Election. Lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
As far as I'm aware Vermont has never had more than the standard 2 weeks (16 day) during the rifle season.
But the Vermont Deer herd is Extremely low and extending the seasons would more than likely "hurt" the herd and not help it.
Politics has nothing to do with the Vermont season.

Ah see, thats what I intially figured.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesnt that casue the deer pop to go crazily high? Hunters are pretty much essential to controlling populations of deer in the world today. With such a short season I'll bet alot die from starvation and wandering into traffic and what not.

Man I'm so happy that I live in the Conservative flagship state of the US. All of our Electoral votes have gone Republican since Nixon's '72 Election. Lol
Vermont winters are brutal on deer, after you weigh in all the factors, natural predation, winter severity, hunting presure and road kills, it balances out fairly well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Md has a lot of deer but only 2 week gun season. Very few big deer though. I always wondered if Vermont and NH and such have such small deer herds then why have gun season during the rut when all of the deer have a high chance of getting shot? I would think they would want to change that. I feel the same way only opposite here in Md. We can't hunt on Sundays either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well thats good. I had images of frozen deer carcasses laying all over the woods which im sure this would be the case in Texas.

In October its insane the amount of deer getting hit by cars. There are just too many not to have a loooooong hunting season.

Oh and I have to amend my earlier statement. I'm ashamed to admit Texas went for Carter in '76. :crybaby:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts