Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard it works as a curiosity scent. anyone ever try it and how did it work. what else have you used successfully to draw deer in, besides the attractants sold in the strores?

·
Registered
602 Posts
out of the ordinary seems to be my forte. lol. have used vanilla extract. forget the brand right now. works real good. some extract mixed into a gallon of demineralized water and put into a weed sprayer. good stuff. have good luck in Georgia with peanut butter. rubber gloves and spread it on some trees. them deer will eat the bark trying to get all the peanut butter. Had 2 stands couple of years ago, you would get hungry sitting in them.lol. one area smelled like vanilla and the other peanut butter.

·
Registered
602 Posts
the most unusual thing i've ever heard of being used was by a buddy of mine. This sounds nasty but, had the mounts on the wall to prove its effectiveness. He would hang his wife's used feminine hygeine products from a tree, during the rut. said it worked better than doe eustrus. :crazy:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Vanilla used to be used as a trapper's scent. Works really well on just about anything. With all the scents available today, it's not as popular as it once was. I guess because realtree doesn't make it :biggrin:. But it's a good attractant. I used peanut butter by one of my trail cams last winter. Fattened up several coons with it. They'd go thru a family sized jar in one night once they found it. Never did get a pic of deer using it. Got a couple looking at it tho.

G

·
there is a product pushed by the fitzgarlds. vanilla-killa. i tried it years ago with the same success as everything else, zero. i will use a doe in heat type scent or a doe pee sometimes buts thats about it. i basically don't use any attractant. i think the older deer know something is amiss when a new smell is introduced.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have been rethinking my scent tactics in the past few seasons also. I believe that estrus scents are over marketed and over stated for their success , at least in our area due to the lack of buck to doe ratio. Even cover scents are being rethought. Go back to the basics and stay as scent free as possible and play the wind. Bear hunting is a different story as far as curiosity scents go. Don't get me wrong , to each his own but I have seen more deer spooked by scents than drawn in by them.

G

·
:thumbup: .
I have been rethinking my scent tactics in the past few seasons also. I believe that estrus scents are over marketed and over stated for their success , at least in our area due to the lack of buck to doe ratio. Even cover scents are being rethought. Go back to the basics and stay as scent free as possible and play the wind. Bear hunting is a different story as far as curiosity scents go. Don't get me wrong , to each his own but I have seen more deer spooked by scents than drawn in by them.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I really started playing with scents last year more that I ever had before. I am planning on stepping it up even more this year. I got some time between now and bow season and a trail cam to verify the outcomes. Guess I will start throwing a few things together and see what works and how good.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think staying as scent free as possible is the best way to go but if you're going to use attractants put a little thought into it. Most products are advertised to make things happen your way, not the natural way. It don't work that way. Everything happens in it's own time and you really need to be in tune with what's goin on in the woods. That's with scents, calls, whatever. Scents will work, I've had them work, but they won't if it's not time. Pay attention :biggrin:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can assure you that the Buck bomb works. I watched a nice buck follow the scent trail I laid down with it just a couple hours earlier. he followed it right up to the fuse in the tree. when it happens this year, I ll have it on video.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I use scent everytime I enter the woods. They work consistantly every year for adding one more mount to my wall.
Have to admit that there was a big learning curve to know the what, where, and when---oh yea and how much. Rule of thumb is start with a little then build up to a lot at two weeks before the rut then taper down after the rut for 2/3 weeks then go right back to a lot for two weeks (2nd rut).

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use scent everytime I enter the woods. They work consistantly every year for adding one more mount to my wall.
Have to admit that there was a big learning curve to know the what, where, and when---oh yea and how much. Rule of thumb is start with a little then build up to a lot at two weeks before the rut then taper down after the rut for 2/3 weeks then go right back to a lot for two weeks (2nd rut).
He lives! :biggrin:

G

·
are you guys nuts try the scents first then post a response.

it seams like you guys need to spend more time in the woods actually hunting then thinking your a hunter. Use the Vanilla and the deer will follow there noses to the stand simple

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
wmi was born in the woods I think in 1850 :w00t: and spends more time on deer than most of us combined so I wouldn't get his dandruff up. I like to use vanilla in my cakes, cookies and homemade ice cream. :ibtl: I prefer to use estrus scents during the rut.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i put out something different this year. i put out some bottles of soy sauce. dumped on the ground and the deer are hammering it. to my surprise. they have a hole dug out about 4' in diameter and about 1' deep. i know because it is salty, just figured there was to much other stuff in it. but hey it works. lol

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I had a buck bomb (doe estrous) can lock up on me again. Over half the can was unused. Not sure what's going on, but I don't like paying $8 for a 5oz can and then having it stop working mid-way through. The first one I bought the nozzle locked down and sprayed the WHOLE can out prematurely for me. Brought in some does, but that's it. not sure if I'll go back to this arrosal can or not.

G

·
I had a buck bomb (doe estrous) can lock up on me again. Over half the can was unused. Not sure what's going on, but I don't like paying $8 for a 5oz can and then having it stop working mid-way through. The first one I bought the nozzle locked down and sprayed the WHOLE can out prematurely for me. Brought in some does, but that's it. not sure if I'll go back to this arrosal can or not.
I had the same thing happen to me. I thought it was a bad shipment to Wal-Mart so I bought from another store. The same thing happened. Top sticks open, not to good when you in an enclosed stand.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping they tinker with the can and fix the problem, or else they are going to start losing customers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts