Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year bowhunting and I was wondering how many of you use a range finder before you shoot or do you estimate the distance. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
no range finder here.I just step off bushes,trees whatever is in the area.I range them by know distances.so far 100%.2 seasons ago I did wing one way out,farther than Ive ever shot even practice.Had a buck come in real late light fadeing fast,so I did something that i usuallt wouldnt do and dont plan on doing again.The buck would not come any closer I figured about 50yds.my longest pin is set for 30yds.I put the pin on the top of its spine and let it fly.perfest hit and down in less than 20yds.I will say it was all luck and should not have done it,just glad it turned out good.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
typically what i've done in the past is just estimate, but I do have some stands that I actually cut off some closet poles into 1ft peices and I'll hammer them in the ground at 20 yds, 30 yds and 40 yds. I usually place them in clear view from my stand, but sometimes I make a mistake! haha

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I use my range finder often but I only use it to establish reference points while i'm on stand.
I don't use it if I see a deer because I dont want the deer to bust me while i'm fumbling with my range finder

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just pace off 10, 20 ,30 yards and so on from my deer stand.
After a while you get to memorize the range by objects or trees near that distance.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I too use one nothing special bushnell 450 sport & I too only use it when I first get into stand never on the animal

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great posts. I think for now I will mark off different distances and keep practicing and try to save up enough to get a rangefinder. Thanks again

·
Registered
799 Posts
well, heres my 2 cents. I set up my 20' ladder stand about 2 weeks ago and decided to take a couple of shots from elevation. I wanted to accomplish a couple things in doing this. first, I had never shot from this platform before and wanted to do so before going to the woods. second, I have never shot my Xforce from elevation and wanted to compair shots from elevation and ground level at the same distance.
what I found was, the old rule of thumb about holding low on a target when shooting from elevation dont apply to the flatter shooting bows. there was absolutly no difference at 15 yds and I would have to conclude the same thing applies out to 40 yds as the impact point is the same for all distances between. I will still use the range finder in the field if for nothing else, piece of mind of knowing the target is within 50 yds. I generally use it in the stand to range target stop points and never the animal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just go in before the season with some bright tree paint and pace off 10, 20,30 yards and put a dot on a tree for every 10 yards, so a 20 yard tree has 2 dots. I do this to a few trees to my right. left and out front and then it gives me a good reference point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Color coordinated flagging tape every few feet in a circle at 10, 20, and 30 yards. That way if I am shooting between Yellow and orange tape I aim between yellow and orange pins.

Trick I learned from the father in law. Hope to use it to get my first bow deer this year. And maybe get one bigger than that monster my daughter shot......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.