Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this site and new to hunting. I'm 27 years old and never hunted before, sad I know. My brother use to hunt north where he would bring back 10 doe's every year, and he would give me some. Now he doesnt so I have to fend for myself, lol. Anyway, i've purchased all my equipment, bought a 243 weatherby, with a simmons scope, hope its a good choice, I dont know. I picked out my spot which is on the edge of my father-in-law's property, next to public land. I've had my camera and feeders out for about 2 months, the deer are comming in great. Someone snuck in and stole my camera and feeder this week, so I dont want to leave anything else there to get stolen. After watching many hunting video's, i've decided to hunt out of a blind. My question is, will it be ok to take my blind into the woods everyday and set it up without spooking the deer? Some magazines recomend leaving them in the woods for about a week to let the deer get use to them. Thats great if you dont have theives that live around you. Anyway, great site, and any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Setting up a blind every time you go out seems like it could be a hassle, but maybe you could pull it off. If I was in your situation I would either buy a treestand and chain it and lock it to the tree, or sit on the ground.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Sneaking a blind into your hunting spot this late in the game probably isn't a good idea at all.
Some might disagree but It's a fact that Deer notice anything and everything in their bedrooms,
anything that's not normal they notice so I surely wouldn't leave it there.
I might consider taking it in for a days hunt but that would depend on the weather conditions & the area I'm hunting in.
If there's a good location for cover and concealment I'd probably give it a try but if it's out in the open too much
I'd leave it home and still hunt on the ground.
Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hunt mostly out of ground blinds,and I would not take mine in every time.It's like Bruce says,it's their bedroom.You would notice if someone put something in your bedroom right?How about using ground blind material and not a ground blind?It would be alot cheaper if someone stole it.I put my blinds up about a month before bow season,and leave them all deer season.Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I like the idea to use some blind material instead of an actual ground blind...just incase it got stolen...but I do have to say that I have placed my ground blinds out and had a trail cam set-up near the blind and the deer really don't seem to mind...even the bigger older bucks still came in the night after I put it up...almost seems like they get curious and come in to investigate lol...so I, personally, don't see any problem with placing your blind out a few days, or maybe even a week earlier to let them get used to seeing it...but if you are going to be using a pop-up blind, I would deff. not recommed leaving it out all season long...I learned this the hard way...they dry-rot pretty easy, or mine did anyways, and I had to throw it away.....but best of luck to you this year!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Darn. I'm sorry to hear about your stuff. It sad when you can't even trust woods men. I hope it don't happen again. I have seen a couple home made blinds. Out of tarps and leafs and what not. I also seen a couple made entierly out of sticks and twigs. It was pretty cool. Like a twig house. If you have the time this might be a good option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great advise everyone. I think mabey I might buy a climber this year to kill my first deer, and after that, i'll experiment with the blind. Or mabey i'll get into turkey hunting in the spring and use the blind for that. Thanks again everyone.............Great site by the way, being a virgin hunter, i'll probably ask so many questions you guys will get tired of me, lol.:biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.