Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation that I could use some advice on. My daughter hit a doe last night with her car. only damage to the deer is that both rear legs are completely broken above the tendon that I need to hang it from. what suggestions are there for hanging the deer so I can skin and butcher it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
IDK...I don't think I would try to eat a deer killed by a car. I think I remember reading sometime about toxins or hormones or chemicals of some sort released when deer are injured. I would at least look into it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would tend to agree to some extent if you just happened upon a deer laying on the side of the road. this one on the other hand has an approx time of death, was still very warm at the time of field dressing has no internal damage to organs ot digestive system. simply put, it is just as good as any bow shot deer with the exception of the broken legs.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
hang it by the front legs, just cape it chin down. No worries at all about the meat being tainted due to the accident... Good Luck

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, limited experience in this area so every time is an adventure and I never tried either of these. After the tenderloins I usually take the front shoulders so this will be a change in order.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I hang em by the head and cut around the ears and back down around the botton area and hook a winch from the 4 wheeler around the ears and winch the hide right off smoothly. Just make sure that the field dress cut up the sternum meets the cut around the ears so that it simply peels away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts