Deer Hunting Forums banner

tuckerman's ravine

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ronn 
G
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
just a couple pics of mt washington 6288 ft and tuckerman's ravine. 2.5 miles of uphill. thought i was going to tip over a couple times but i made it. 3 hrs in and out.

nice day for a walk

See less See more
G
#3 ·
pictures don't do it justice. mt washington has the highest promontory, 6288 ft, east of the mississippi river. the summit also is where the fastest straight line winds ever were measured something like 238 mph. the pics look to be black and white but its color.

we were at about 4000 feet in elevation.

G
#6 · (Edited)
hm, no its up the road an hr or so. just went for the hike.

buckshot, i think mt mitchell is the highest above sea level in ga or nc. i'll check again

yea its mt mitchell it nc at 6684, clingman's dome is 6643, dang tall. i think there is one more in between also in nc. yup, mt. craig at 6647

G
#9 ·
my buddy wants me to hike to the top in a couple weeks. told him i don't think so, i'm not prepared. don't have the proper gear or the stamina. last thing i want is a helicopter ride down. people die climbing that mt in the winter.

#10 ·
I hear you, a winter mountain climb is a whole differnt beast than summer as the climbers on Mt Hood find out every year it seems like. I have been to the top Clingman's dome and le conte but not Mitchell. I may have to check it out and see what the difficulty is, that is some beautiful country up there. We camp at Smokmont camp ground in the Smokies, it's on that side of the Mountains and probably not far from Mitchell.

G
#11 ·
i think the first six are all right together on the nc tn border.

If i can get a few hikes in and the proper equipment i'll do the hike. hiking up 5000 ft doesn't sound like much but its all up in about 5 miles. crampons, snowshoes, ice axe, clothes that work form 35 degrees to -35 windchill or more, wind proof and water proof, emergency/survival stuff, flashlight, food and water, is a lot to carry. could be fun though.

#14 ·
I am from the east and the trail Ronn was on is extremly tough and yes quite the view at the same time.Me and my brother in law hiked that trail in early october and on the way up encountered rain! The temp dropped almost 25 degrees in less than an hour. We were prepared for this and decided upon reaching the summit to play it safe and get a ride to the base.Not worth dying for to say we hiked down , unfortunately not all hikers think this way as there are many accidents on this MT.

#16 ·
very nice pic's ronn. Didn't feel like skiing it?
highest wind speed recorded @ MT Washington was 231 MPH
it was supposedly beat by a cyclone in Australia

The World Meteorological Organization is considering Barrow Island, Australia as the new record at 253mph. (during Cyclone Olivia in 1996)

COME ON IT WAS A CYCLONE!!!!!
first we loose the Old Man then this we are going back to people asking New Hampshire where is that HMMM may not be a bad thing :rolleyes:
Still great pics Ronn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.