Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
just a couple pics of mt washington 6288 ft and tuckerman's ravine. 2.5 miles of uphill. thought i was going to tip over a couple times but i made it. 3 hrs in and out.

nice day for a walk

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pictures don't do it justice. mt washington has the highest promontory, 6288 ft, east of the mississippi river. the summit also is where the fastest straight line winds ever were measured something like 238 mph. the pics look to be black and white but its color.

we were at about 4000 feet in elevation.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Promontory? I had to look that up.:confused: I always thought that Clingman's Dome was the highest Mountain east of the Missisip at over 6800.
Now I know what a promontory is. :)

Great pics.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hm, no its up the road an hr or so. just went for the hike.

buckshot, i think mt mitchell is the highest above sea level in ga or nc. i'll check again

yea its mt mitchell it nc at 6684, clingman's dome is 6643, dang tall. i think there is one more in between also in nc. yup, mt. craig at 6647

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya'll get a head start with the mts down there. here we start closer to sea level.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just for grins i checked to see where mt washington falls

mt mitchell 6684
mt craig 6647
clingman's dome 6643
mt guyot 6621
mt le conte 6593
waterrock knob 6292
mt washington 6288

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my buddy wants me to hike to the top in a couple weeks. told him i don't think so, i'm not prepared. don't have the proper gear or the stamina. last thing i want is a helicopter ride down. people die climbing that mt in the winter.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I hear you, a winter mountain climb is a whole differnt beast than summer as the climbers on Mt Hood find out every year it seems like. I have been to the top Clingman's dome and le conte but not Mitchell. I may have to check it out and see what the difficulty is, that is some beautiful country up there. We camp at Smokmont camp ground in the Smokies, it's on that side of the Mountains and probably not far from Mitchell.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think the first six are all right together on the nc tn border.

If i can get a few hikes in and the proper equipment i'll do the hike. hiking up 5000 ft doesn't sound like much but its all up in about 5 miles. crampons, snowshoes, ice axe, clothes that work form 35 degrees to -35 windchill or more, wind proof and water proof, emergency/survival stuff, flashlight, food and water, is a lot to carry. could be fun though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am from the east and the trail Ronn was on is extremly tough and yes quite the view at the same time.Me and my brother in law hiked that trail in early october and on the way up encountered rain! The temp dropped almost 25 degrees in less than an hour. We were prepared for this and decided upon reaching the summit to play it safe and get a ride to the base.Not worth dying for to say we hiked down , unfortunately not all hikers think this way as there are many accidents on this MT.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great pics Ronn, I thought some of the mountain country we hunt in southwestern Virginia was rough but by your pics we have got it pretty easy.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
very nice pic's ronn. Didn't feel like skiing it?
highest wind speed recorded @ MT Washington was 231 MPH
it was supposedly beat by a cyclone in Australia

The World Meteorological Organization is considering Barrow Island, Australia as the new record at 253mph. (during Cyclone Olivia in 1996)

COME ON IT WAS A CYCLONE!!!!!
first we loose the Old Man then this we are going back to people asking New Hampshire where is that HMMM may not be a bad thing :rolleyes:
Still great pics Ronn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts