Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't really sure where to put this. I have a piece of property I ran 5 trail cameras on all season last year to see where the most traffic was and when. Results were pretty interesting. This property is kind of small (60 acres) and I decided to hunt the perimeter only and leave the center 15 - 20 acres alone. With that in mind, I wanted stands to hang in high traffic areas, something that wouldn't rot, no moving parts, and comfortable for all day sits. I didn't like anything I could buy, besides the fact they are way to expensive. These cost about $30 each. This is what I came up with.....

Fabricating the frames...

Drilling holes .......

Then I powdercoated them with a powder I found from one of my suppliers, Treestand Green Texture.....

Cooking......

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Attachiing Chains & Leveling bolts...

Finished Stand.....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took me about an hour and a half to hang one of these. I was going to make the climbing sticks also but I cut a deal with the owner of a local hardware store and bought all the sticks he had left. I got 13 sets of 20' sticks for about $26 each, including tax. A good buy.

Attaching climbing sticks...

I had to make a bracket for raising the stands......

I attached the stand with a boom...

Adjusted the leveling bolts...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stand in place. Gravel Road Stand #1. 26' high, solid and comfy.

Gravel Road Stand #2, 24' high...

Crooked Cedar Stand. 27' high, Downwind side of a bedding area...

Double Pine Stand, 28' high. Can't see the stand but it's in the circle....

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Man, I got nose bleeds just from the pictures! If you don't like what they make build it your self. Thats some custom stands. What do you est the weight at?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The stands weigh in around 35lbs each. A bit of a handfull up a tree, thus the bracket. I wouldn't want to pack one around with me all the time but light enough to move if I need to. And that's what I designed them for, comfort and to hang and leave. I made 6 of these and have all but 1 in the woods. Hopefully that one will be up before long.

They are pretty solid, they do not move at all. The platform is 24" X 31" with a 24" X 10" seat, so there's plenty of room. The height really doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Those look great and just the right hieght for me. I like the way you lock them in with heavy chain. Great job.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wondered when you'd find it Ron. We've talked about these for a while now. They worked like a charm. I need more. Maybe next year I'll have a few more ready. Never hurts to have an extra one or two on the shelf.

R

·
0 Posts
i knew you had made some but somehow did see these pics. yup you can never have to many stands

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Darn nice work. Nice shop to do it all in as well.

Like the seat size and platform. Plenty of room.

"Southern Mans"----- Sounds like a brand name tree stand to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts