Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are a bit slow so how about tree preference. I prefer to find a good pine/hemlock as it gives me good back cover and I crush the needles for added scent cover. Getting my 16' ladder into them is pretty easy and I use the cutoffs to camo in with. I'm known to really cover up my stand alowing about 3 shooting holes. I also stick a few pine branches in the rungs to cover it in. Extreem?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ill climb anything thats alive and in a good spot,i aint picky.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm A Ground Person Do To A Close Call Years Ago But If I Were To Pick A Tree I Would Go With A Pine Or A Good Ceder Where There Is Alot Of Cover.if There Is No Good Tree I'll Nestle A Portble Ground Blind Into A Or Next To Some Brush.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I'll use whatever is ideal to climb with my climber,
something where I don't have to cut many or any limbs if possible.
Oaks and Beechnut trees work fairly well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I usually find myself in an oak tree. Oaks and Red Cedars are the only trees that get big enough really around here, and the Cedar trees are a little too sappy for me. I've tried it before but it is kinda like that christmas vacation movie...little sappy in here...

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I like how bruce said it. Anything my climber will go up with not alot of work. I do look for trees with a thicker bark though. I feel safer when my stand kinda digs into the tree.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I like how bruce said it. Anything my climber will go up with not alot of work. I do look for trees with a thicker bark though. I feel safer when my stand kinda digs into the tree.
LOL,, at 225 lbs. I'm pretty sure the teeth on my climber are biting pretty good. :w00t:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm more picky about size than variety. The tree has to be big enough to break up my out line. It always amazes me how hard it is to find the right tree in a forest of trees:biggrin:

G

·
yup which just adds to the dilemma of picking a tree. that's just a 1/2 hr of me going the deer should be more there and going this way with the wind going that way i should be on that side of the trail but I'd like to be near that split in the trail somewhere around 30 ft or more. then i lock the climber on the tree climb up and find the shooting lanes maybe move higher or lower to clear the limbs. then climb down put the cable lock on and go look for another tree with another stand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
first year out for bow season

hey this is my first year going out for bow season can anyone give me some poiters and or tips about the whole bow season thing thanks?

G

·
i think there is to much to write here so my advice would be read all you can on the subject. there is a post here in the lodge i think that has a ton of good titles for you.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
QM22, there are many posts throughout the site which give you alot of info on bow season but it would be hard to find all. Maybe if you start a new post using the same title as above you ought to get all the bow fanatics chirping in with great tips and advice.

G

·
found it try this book " Precision Bowhunting A Year-round Approach To Taking Mature Whitetails" by John and Chris Eberhart

·
Registered
56 Posts
If I am using a ground blind I will set up next to some brush. Same case if the wind is crazy. But under perfect conditions I an usually up in a maple tree at the funnel of the deer trails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts