Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed hunting this season, and if you've read my previous thread which drew more attention than I had expected, you know that a monster doe got away because I didn't have a way to conceal me drawing my bow.

I've decided on a tree stand instead of a ground blind due to all the undergrowth and poor visibility reasons. I need to know of some reasonably priced stands. I've looked at the Viper SS and the Treewalker XL series. They're a little expensive, but not completely unfathomable.

I just need some suggestions on a decently priced climbing tree stand, since I don't have the money to set up multiple ones.

All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
if you have someone who can help you set it up ladder stands are usaly the most comforatable and you can usaly get them for short money. but you wont want to set it up alown.

G

·
what i did was get a pant load of the gorilla's from wal-mart cheap (now up to 6 or so), after the season, and replaced that fish net seat with a replacement sling seat with a back. The least expensive seat i found were from big dog tree stands. now gorilla makes a climber with a sling seat but mot sure of the cost. so thats $50 for the stand and $20 for the seat. can't get a comfortable climber for much less than that. my favorite climber is still my summit goliath. also check ebay and craigs list. you may find a deal.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Up until about 3 years ago I was using an old loc-on stand with chain hanging system. I was really tired of carting that loc-on into the woods and climbing and balancing on steps to hang it. I broke down and got a viper ss and have never regretted it. It is very comfortable on those long uneventful days and it works really well for getting a few extra zzzzs when you get into the stand extra early without having to worry about falling out. there are disadvantages to it as well. for one you lose the capability of just climbing down some steps to access the ground. and the initial cost makes it an item you do not want to leave attached to the tree while you are away. and you need to hunt an area that has trees that grow straight up with no low branches or forks and don't lean. a tall pine tree or even a palm tree are good examples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts