Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
The best way to determine Draw Length is to,
Measure your (Relaxed) Arm-Span from middle finger tip to middle finger tip. don't try to stretch it out..

Arm-Span Divided by 2.5 = Draw Length

(EXAMPLE) Mine would be 70 inches 70 divided by 2.5 = 28" Draw Length

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Traditional archers draw length should increase when swithching from compound bows. Recurves and long bows should be shot with a slightly bent relaxed (bow) arm. I prefer to have a measuring arrow used to check my draw length. This takes out all other factors. Drawing the shaft several times untill a consistant measurement is determined can be done at most bow shops. It takes two to do this. I add 3/8" to the final arrow measurement for clearance of all large blade heads being used by traditional archers.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help, I do shoot a compound but have not for a few years now and was looking at shooting a recurve. I guess Iam getting tired of all of the techno gadgets.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I wish I could go back to the old days, but these two shoulders said enough is enough. I used to shoot beautiful take-down recurves. They were quiet & smoothe to shoot and fast for their time. I t just took a good strong body to shoot them well. My draw was 31" and I shot a 58# Bruin Bow. Now with my Mathews I draw 28.5" but still shoot 58#. I sold all my recurve stuff about 5 years ago on e-bay. Good luck and I envy you, sometimes simple gives us the most enjoyment!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a draw length of 29" on my compound, but use all of a 31" arrow on my recurve...it feels the same, but I guess it's a little longer with a recurve/long bow.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
You two are the first shooters I have ever heard say their draw length increased when shooting recurves or longbows vs. compounds. Perhaps it is sign of changing times or CHANGED times. Some of your draw length must be lost through use of string loops and releases..........?

Draw length on traditional bows is typically something that must be figured with the bow in your hand. Some traditional shooters have very unorthodox forms, leading to varied draw lengths, as well as varied degrees of accuracy. Since there is no "wall" to contend with, a traditional shooter finds his proper draw length by drawing the bow to a solid anchor and finding good consistent shoulder/arm/body alignment, and then having a friend mark the arrow shaft. The trick is to then become proficient at consistently maintaining that draw and form on each consecutive shot. At least that is how I do it, but it may be wrong.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Just two different types of bows and it takes two different types of shooting form for each. Nothing new here. If you have the same draw length for both you are very fortunate to do so. Generally recurve shooters draw length will increase 1-2 inchess due to the change in arm hold position,this being somewhat straighter. Everyone has a slightly different bow form but the increase in draw length is pretty normal for recurve shooters. Most of the custom bowyers in their advertisements allude to the extra draw length for recurve shooters vs compounds. Mike at Bruin Bows is a great guy to check out for a quality custom recurve.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every shooter I have ever known had a shorter draw length with trad equipment than they had with compounds. Then again, every one of those shooters may have been the exception.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If anyone needs traditional archery equipment try Three River's Archery Supply, they have a great catalog & service. They sell several reasonable priced custom bows as well as production bows from major makers. This is where I got most of my equipment (except bow).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts