Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probly a strange question but... We just got a wienny dog puppy just a couple months old. We have been taking outside for him to do his business. The other day I hung a deer in the back yard to skin and cut it up. When finished I put the carcuss in the truck and hauled it off. Now every time we take the dog out he heads straight for the truck or goes to the back where I hung the deer. I was wondering if he would be good for tracking deer after they were shot. Has anyone ever had any experience with this and how would you train him.
Thanks Charlie

· Registered
799 Posts
probably not a good choice for a deer tracking dog as dachshunds were not bred for field work. where I am at, he would get 100 yds out of sight and become coyote snacks.

· Registered
295 Posts
I have a Mountain Cur-female, 3 yrs old. Adopted her from a shelter nine months ago. Found completely by surprise she trees squirrels-treed three while helping me hang a stand.

Every deer I have shot thisyear, fell within sight. But I went to move a stand a few days ago, maybe four hours after I killed a doe. Dog hit the trail while walking in and trailed right straight to the gut pile.

I have opwned many dogs. This is the only one I have ever had who would trail blood and not get sidetracked...I think.

Although daschunds originated has hunting dogs, I have my doubts about their ability to trail wounded deer. But wouldn't it be fun trying?

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
I wouldnt be a bit surprised hearing about a Dachsund trailing Blood.
Wikipedia says the following about the breed,

The dachshund (UK: /ˈdæksənd/, US: /ˈdɑːkshənd/, German: [ˈdaksˌhʊnt]) is a short-legged, long-bodied dog breed belonging to the hound family. The standard size dachshund was bred to scent, chase, and flush out badgers and other burrow-dwelling animals, while the miniature dachshund was developed to hunt smaller prey such as rabbits. In the American West they have also been used to hunt prairie dogs.

· Registered
271 Posts
Deer Tracking Dogs

I saw a show about a tracking service in Texas.If you lose a deer you shot,you can call this service and they will bring a deer tracking dog and handler to your site.Don't know what they cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.