Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, right now I have mixed emotions. Wish I could go back in time because I'd not spend the entire day outside to see NO DEER what-so-ever until the last 15 min of daylight. First day of firearms season was a disapointment to say the least.
Conditions here are horrible. Highs in the upper 60's with winds blowing ALL day long. Constant 5-10mph winds all day with gusts up to 35mph. PLUS, the wind was blowing out of the south/southwest, which all my firearm-set-ups are facing the north for a north wind. Didn't hear many shots today at all. Probably 1/4 of what I normally hear.
With about 45 minutes of daylight to go, I decide to leave the woods (after a 4 hour sit of seeing NOTHING except 10 *****) and go for a walk on a different part of the property that I don't hunt much b/c it's out of the way. Well low and behold, I see a doe right away but she was already at the fence line and jumped over and walked into the woods. Then I saw another deer with about 10 min of daylight left. This deer was bigger than the first and I thought it was a nice doe. Shot once, and hit a limb and the deer just spooked but didn't run. Shot second time and hit a little far back but it stumbled and fell right where I shot it. Bad news- it was a button buck. Didn't want to shot a button buck but we'll take the meat. There's just no way to see the dog-gone bumps on his head. Plus he was a BIG button buck. If he were a doe, he'd have been bigger than a medium sized doe. Got him dressed and cleaned and taking him to the processor after supper. Tator's on the board.... and tired

· Registered
602 Posts
Congrats on your harvest Tator. Weather was bad for our Kentucky opener as well. I saw a few deer in the AM including a huge buck that was all broken up. Five points on one side with G3 & G4 broken. The other side? Broken off at the skull. He was a huge stud of an animal though! Hope he makes it through the season til next. He walked 5 yards behind my new stand :pickle:

Afternoon was very windy and slow. I checked my watch mid-afternoon and figured they'd start moving around three. At 3:20 I turned to see a nice buck trotting through the woods about 115 yards away. He followed the trail I figured he would and 2 mins later was right behind my stand. I couldn't decide for sure whether to drop the hammer, but as he was about to leave I shot.

First harvest with my CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 turned out to be a nice Kentucky 8 and the rifle put the smackdown on him :boxing: The good part, I've got another nice 8 now this season. The bad, no more buck tags for Kentucky...lol. I've still got a doe tag for Ky and have two more buck tags for Tn, however. :wink:

Wish you great luck today Tator!! :thumbup:

· Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wasn't going to go out this morning but woke up at 4:45am and decided to get up and try it again. It was 61 degrees at 5am this morning here in North Central MO. CRAZY! Plus it was windy as heck. I didn't mention this before, but the moon has been full and BRIGHT the past 4 nights. When I saw bright, I mean a blind man could find his way through a 40 acre forest with ease.
Wind was gusting upto 40mph this morning as well, absolutely the wrong conditions in every sense. Winds strong out of the west/southwest.

ON another note, I did see what I thought was 2 does this morning. Shot the bigger of the two and yep, you guessed it, it was a button buck AGAIN. Sick to my stomach. I absolutely can't believe this. Killed two button bucks in same year. I think I'm done shooting at deer that I believe to be does. Disapointing, but at least there is meat on the table. I donated one deer to the share the harvest program, this one I'm getting processed into sausage, sliced for jerky and burger.

· Registered
773 Posts
Still tough!! Still 20 mph winds, only seen one doe and I only seen her for just a few seconds because she was down in the bottom in some thick stuff. Only one spot I could see as she went by. But didn't matter was behind me about 80 yards and on the neighbors property. They don't care if I shoot down there but there is a little bluff and I realy wouldn't want to have to pack a deer up out of there.

· Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I ended up staying in last night and not hunting. Played with my kids and had a good evening. btw- at 3:30pm the 30+mph came to an end. Trees were at a stand still and temp dropped 10+ degrees. Talk about being mad.

But if I could go back in time, I'd still stay home. Taught my 3 y/o how to slam DUNK on his 4ft goal! haha

· Registered
1,524 Posts
Congrats tator
We had steady 32 mph winds Sunday with gusts up to 49 mph
I still had 6 bucks come within 20 yrds of the stand a 8pt 7 pt 6pt 5pt a long spike and a button buck & 5 doe fun hunt for me but none were the deer i was wanting

· Registered
773 Posts
We went from two days of 20 + mph winds to rain all day. :wallbash: one tough week so far, but tomorrow and the rest of the few days left of gun is suppose to be nice but not cool like I would like it to be, looks like this going to be a good late season bow year the way the weather is playing out, but that's great I love slinging sticks !

· Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went out last night and saw two bucks. One was a small 6 point with a nice thick body on him. Can't legally shoot 6 pointers unless they have 4 points on one side, which he didn't. He had is nose to the ground and tongue hanging out probably 6 inches! hahaha
The other dude was just a spike with one side broken off. Saw him at last light.
Thinking about going out again tonight. I think the rut is in FULL throttle in Missouri right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.