Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in-laws place after the may 24th tornado...

This is the entrance to the house and the steps down to the cellar:

Barn and the pickup they were in as the tornado came through:

Garage and cars:

Charles and Loretta (my wife's parents) the next day:

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I am sorry but all I can say is HOLY CRAP man this is why I live in the Northeast glad to see they are ok

·
Registered
986 Posts
spirit of America in those two!:wink:
Yes sir,prayers for them that all goes well re-building.And the insurance company dont give them any problems,like they did with 1000s of people in Fla. after the hurricanes.Insurance companys or just legal robbery:ranting:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
flexj, you starting any rebuild contributions from us Americans? No better cause than I can see right here at DHC and our loyal members helping those that need help.I would love to get some money heading their way just fir needed items. What do you think? What do others think? something like a 20.00 minimum and go up from there as you desire to do so. Give us an accessment of their needs and see what we can do to lighten their heavy load. HM

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Charles and Loretta have taken this whole thing a lot better than I would have. They feel like they have been given a second chance, and are excited about the rebuild. Since the tornado they have been living in my hunting cabin (not as bad as it sounds). It is actually an old house that I remodeled as a bunkhouse for hunting parties. The weekend after this happened I got a crew together and put in all new flooring, plumbing, faucets, got some electrical problems fixed, put in new water heater, washer/dryer and some other stuff to make it more comfortable for them as they waited for the new house to get done. Heck, I even put up a 46" flatscreen in there! Needless to say the hunting cabin is going to be a lot nicer when they are done with it. There has been a tremendous amount of support shown by the community, and most of their needs have been taken care of. Their insurance company did not give them any trouble about paying as their policy stated, but they definitely did not have replacement value coverage. Charles and loretta have been humbled by this experience, and already feel they have too many favors to return. Finances are not a huge concern, but the amount of work still to come seems overwhelming. I'm sure they would not turn down anyone wanting to contribute, but that is not the intention of me starting this thread. It seems like life is finally getting back close to normal, and I found the pics on the computer so I just wanted to share.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Those pics are amazing.

Where were they at when the twister hit? I assumed in the cellar but then I seen the pic with the truck in the barn and thought with what you said above that pic that they may have been in the truck?

I love the pic of them with arms raised with the American flag.

I with HM if they need anything let us know.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BF, They were in that truck in the barn. They had been working out on their farm when it started to rain and hail, so they drove the truck into the barn. Not wanting to get beaten by hail they just stayed in the barn and watched it come down. They had no idea that there was a tornado coming, but all of a sudden it was there. By the time they got from the tail gate to the pickup doors they could barely get the doors shut. That truck was the only thing on the farm that wasn't completely destroyed. Their airstream was pushed over into the side, and the barn collapsed on top of it, but not a single glass broke on the truck. It is dented and scratched of course, but we cut the barn away from it and just drove it out. I guess we had to jerk the other pickup off the back too. There was a half ton out in the yard that was picked up and thrown up on the flat bed.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Thats awesome that they were protected through that twister. Through all the pics you had only the cellar or that truck would have been a safe spot. Looks like God wanted your parents down here a little while longer! Again Im glad your parents made it through ok.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts