Deer Hunting Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
OK, on the topic of "too much gun"
The legendary hunter/writer, Elmer Keith used to say that there's no such thing as too much gun. He was right, to a point. Elmer wanted a round that could shoot through any game animal lengthwise if it had to. Without getting into the anatomy and/or ethics of that concept, he probably had a point in thinking that his belief required a heavy, large caliber bullet. He was right because in his day that's all that could do an end-to-end penetration on a big game animal. Not so today. The newer bullets are contstructed for maximum penetration and expansion without breaking up while retaining maximum weight retention. They are accurate and, in the small to medium calibers, can be very flat shooting. Here is an example: A wildcat, .257, "Hot Tamale" with a 100 grain Barnes bullet completely penetrated both shoulders of a 2000+ pound bison bull and dropped it on the spot. Even Elmer would have been impressed.
That 45-70 you are shooting is deadly and has killed just about every animal in the world, and it's one that Elmer would have loved, but if it is intimidating you ever time you pull the trigger, you may be subjecting your self to a lot of unneccesary punishment. In one of your videos (very well done, by the way) you mentioned that you have a 30/06. That's plenty of medicine for a moose or any othet big game. You might consider it for your hunting as it is more accurate and flat shooting than the 45-70 with less recoil, and the 165 or 180 grain solid copper or other premium bullets that are now available will be more than capable of knocking the moose (but not you) flat. Good luck with your plans.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My 30-06 kicks as much as my 45-70

I don't know the make/model of your 30-06. The kick you are complaining about probibly is more of a stock design issue not a recoil issue. I have to think if you have one with a well designed stock and quality recoil pad.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry, my reply doesn't make sense...

A 30-06 that fits you correctly will not be a problem to shoot in the recoil department. It is amazing the difference in felt recoil between a rifle that fits with a good recoil pad, and one that doesn't fit you with a hard or steel buttplate. Try a couple of other 30-06s prior to black listing them for life....

Karl

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
................you mentioned that you have a 30/06.
"Had" a .30-.30 (Model 94 Winchester) which got sold when the kids were small. I miss that gun!!

My intent was to go and get another one, but the ones I saw in the gun stores were just not in the greatest condition, and I wanted a side-eject.

So I changed my focus to the Marlin 336.

I had the 336 in my right hand (new) and the 45/70 in my left.

Having worked for Marlins, I had my prejudices about a "new" gun from that company (at least, the ones made in North Haven, just down the road from me).

The "new" 336 in my hands was made in Massachusetts, (I suspect that "production" was still "piece work" there as well), and the 45/70 had some use (meaning that most likely, burrs and kinks were probably already worked out of the gun). So I chose the gun that was "broken in" over the potential issues related to a "new" gun.

In retrospect, because of the cost of the ammo, and the power of the 45/70, I'd be more comfortable with the .30-.30, and should have chosen the 336.

I've been willing to trade folks.........any takers? Scope included!!

-Soupy1957

·
Registered
2 Posts
dry fireing

I would try fireing my rifle without ammo and concintrate on keeping my eyes open dureing the process. It was recommended to me and I am passing it on. It seems to work for me. Check with a local gunsmith or your rifle manufacturer to make sure it won't do any damage to your personel firearm.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Rounds for 'dry firing'???

I would try fireing my rifle without ammo and concintrate on keeping my eyes open dureing the process. It was recommended to me and I am passing it on. It seems to work for me. Check with a local gunsmith or your rifle manufacturer to make sure it won't do any damage to your personel firearm.
Aren't there cartridges out there for just that purpose? Training?
Wouldn't this preclude causing any damage to the rifle?

RR

·
Registered
852 Posts
Snap Caps

Snap Caps are special dummy cartridges designed for dry firing. They are either made of plastic or aluminum. The primer on them is either spring loaded or a rubber type material designed for firing pin hits. The old rule of thumb was that repeat strikes of the firing pin going all the way to the stop because it didn't hit a primer could crystalize the metal and make it brittle.

Karl

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
you mentioned that you have a 30/06.

Did I? I thought I said ".30-.30" Ah well. Anyway, I traded away the 45/70 for a Model 94 Centennial Commemorative, made in 1966. Hexagon barrel, and a 7 shot tubular magazine; Brass Receiver. I had a Model 94 before, and loved it. Am excited to shoot it, if I can ever find any Ammo! Had some on order from Cabela's since March. Their shelves are empty at the local box store, as are most stores.

-Soupy1957

·
Registered
986 Posts
In the words of Big Daddy Don Gartlits

theres no substitution for cubic inches except more cubic inches. I guess the same could be said for guns

·
Registered
852 Posts
Unless it kicks so much that the shooter is scared of it

We have all seen it, someone with a cannon on the firing line that wishes it didn't hurt so much with each pull of the trigger. That is why I am anti magnum, not that they aren't incredible. It is just that 99% of the shooters on the line would be better served with something from the standard list of cartridges(30-06 class). I have seen Deer hunters sighting in a 375 H&H. It was bought for bragging rights at Deer camp that year. The shooter was sure his buddy would top him with a 416 Rem next year.
Let's see a Deer weights ~200 lbs, an Elephant several thousand. I guess it would be funny watching the 416 shooter sight in for the years opener. I just hope they have plenty of eye relief from their scope.

Karl

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The one big gun I sold and would like to have back was the 444 Marlin. The kick was more of a push back rather than a big hard kick jaw shattering recoil.

·
Registered
852 Posts
444 Marlin, a 44 Mag on steriods....

I always thought that this was an interesting cartridge. They say it was better using the 265gr loading as the 240gr did not have the SD for good penetration. I have some 315gr GC lead bullets for my 44 Mag pistols that probibly would be perfect for it.

Karl

·
Registered
44 Posts
rather than panic about the kick focus on exhaling while you shoot. It steadies your shot and you'll be so focused on exhaling properly that the kick wont be what you're paying attention to.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The one big gun I sold and would like to have back was the 444 Marlin. The kick was more of a push back rather than a big hard kick jaw shattering recoil.
Older thread, I know. But I thought I'd mention that I plan on hunting with one of my two .444s opening day of rifle season in Kentucky. I have had a .444S for several years now that is very accurate shooting the 265gr LE ammo and also picked up, a couple months ago a .444P with 18.5" ported barrel. I'm not so hot on those ports, but that's the only way the short Marlin .444s were made.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts