Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When taking in mind "culling", whats the mind set of some of you on getting the dominate buck first and then eventually subordinate bucks... or waiting to get the dominant buck (or hoping to get him) after some of the rutting is done?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If you shoot the dominate buck then you will need to allow the subordinate bucks to grow up. I would not pass up a nice buck regardless of the season unless you have 100% control of the herd.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
In reality you may never even see the dominant buck but that doesn't matter anyway because the dominant buck has already spread his genetics throughout the area, harvesting a dominant buck now or later will make no differnce. The rut is still going to occur and his genes will carry on either way, with him or without him.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
OH MY GOODNESS, with MY neighbors!!!!!! If I see a dominant buck the first DAY of bow season he's going to get shot at. It's a race! TRUST me, if there is a dominant buck in your area, and your area is NOT 1,000+ acres, there's someone else watching him too so take him FAST....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I am being real patient on the big nine... patient for a good shot. He ducked me the other night when I shot:bag:(felt retarded but only a learning experience i reckon)... but didnt seem to get bothered and stayed real close. (just didnt get another good target)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts