Deer Hunting Forums banner

tips on where to set up on new deer lease

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  okla_bowhunter 
#1 ·
Hi yall im new on here first post. I recently got a new 80 acre deer lease in oklahoma. The terrain is really diverse for such a small area and im having problems pin-pointing where the bucks may be traveling/bedding. the lease has a large creek fed pond, but i have circled it repeatedly and seen no prints to show they are drinking there. the creek that feeds it is 10 feet below heavily wooded area and mostly mud. there is also a large open area in the middle of the area that i have put a corn feeder on and seen only does. much of the property is covered in heavy thickets. any ideas where the big boys may be callin home? oh and there are atv trails going through the heavily wooded area would only does be using this trail this time of year? any ideas?

#2 ·
it is hard to say exactly, but the deer here in NW oklahoma will generaly water at or near a spring. As far as finding the bucks, you just need to scout it out. Try to find the does bedding area, and then look downwind a couple hundred yards. Also, the big ones around here don't really use the same trails as the does this time of year, but later on they will. Keep feeding the does, and in about a month the bucks will be coming behind them. good luck

#3 ·
thanks for the advice, i appreciate it. i have heard several rumors about a supposedly big big racked buck on the property, is it true the older bucks hang out in the thickets and scrub for the most part before pre rut? should i try to catch him leaving the thick brush to the water source this early?

#4 · (Edited)
Well, there is a thin line there not to be crossed. you have to be very careful on a small property, or you will blow him out of there. If it was me, I would hunt the edge of the thickets in the preseason. Dont go too deep in there, or you will likely disturb the bedding area. You won't have a real good chance of seeing him until the rut kicks in. Just hunt the downwind side of those thickets for a while and see if you get lucky. In about a month move over to the area where the does frequent. again use the wind to your advantage and wait him out. I only have one place where I hunt on a water source, and that place is a natural spring. Other than that spring, I have never shot a deer over a water source. You might catch one munching acorns. That is what I'm hunting on now. when the acorns first start dropping they really hit them hard. Good luck!

#5 ·
Good advice above, what about rubs are there any? As they get closer to pre-rut you should see rub lines and eventually scrape lines. Rub marks in the tree will give you some info regarding the size/spread of the buck that made them. Bucks tend to use remote travel routes in thick stuff. Right now they are concentrating on food in preparation of the rut when they rarely eat. I too would stay out of the bedding area, set up on food sources, then if no luck set up on scrape lines. Even during the rut I don't find that bucks follow doe travel routes, they scent locate them by cutting their trail or when they leave their calling card on a scrape. If you locate remote travel routes in thick stuff that appear to be hiding from everything you most likely have located a buck route.

#6 ·
yes there are rubs randomly placed on the top of a small ridge where the creek has washed it out on the opposite side of the creek of the thickets, have not seen any on thicket side though. havent seen a fresh rub yet , looks like last years or before. just checked my trail camera and i had over 200 pictures of 6 different does exiting a heavy doe trail into the open area my corn feeder is in, nice to get some pics finally

#7 ·
It sounds to me like you might have yourself a sanctuary on your hands. If I were you, I wouldn't go onto this property unless you have to. Make sure you are scent free when you do. If there is tall brush and thickits like you're saying, deer LOVE that. The best thing you have going is water. I would set a stand close to the water and these trails that you are seeing. If using trail cameras, set them on some of the trails and leave them be for 2+ weeks. I've noticed when I put out trail cameras, I always get does for the first 3-4 days/nights. By day 4-5 the bucks start showing up on the cam.
Also GOOGLE earth your property and look at the neighboring properties. This will help you figure out where the deer are generally coming from and help you set up in the right place. Look for pinch points!

**AND I STILL STAND BY MY WORD BOYS: Go to your local bass pro or cabela's or farm and home store and buy a trophy rock and put it out in front of your camera. IF you have bucks on/around your property THEY WILL SHOW UP, but LEAVE the camera alone for 1-2 weeks! Good Luck OKLAHOMA!

#8 ·
thats a good idea on the google earth, i completely forgot about that article in field and stream. i sat in my stand by a trail with heavy doe activity last sunday and on my way out (doeless) i found a very distinct rub route that got me real excited. when i head out i am going to move my camera to this area and see what happens. i saw a big bodied buck only a six point though leavin the thickets and wandering through the creek bed out of bow range last weekend. it was still cool to see the first buck of the year though, he was walking pretty fast and head to ground somewhat carefree so i feel good about how comfortable the deer in the area are with their surroundings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.