Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
it is hard to say exactly, but the deer here in NW oklahoma will generaly water at or near a spring. As far as finding the bucks, you just need to scout it out. Try to find the does bedding area, and then look downwind a couple hundred yards. Also, the big ones around here don't really use the same trails as the does this time of year, but later on they will. Keep feeding the does, and in about a month the bucks will be coming behind them. good luck

· Registered
555 Posts
Well, there is a thin line there not to be crossed. you have to be very careful on a small property, or you will blow him out of there. If it was me, I would hunt the edge of the thickets in the preseason. Dont go too deep in there, or you will likely disturb the bedding area. You won't have a real good chance of seeing him until the rut kicks in. Just hunt the downwind side of those thickets for a while and see if you get lucky. In about a month move over to the area where the does frequent. again use the wind to your advantage and wait him out. I only have one place where I hunt on a water source, and that place is a natural spring. Other than that spring, I have never shot a deer over a water source. You might catch one munching acorns. That is what I'm hunting on now. when the acorns first start dropping they really hit them hard. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.