Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
one of the pros is its pure copper(minus that little tip). and the way this country looks like its heading, that may be our only legal option. so go ahead and get used to it. ive only shot them out of my .223 at one deer, and they werent the tipped kind, just hollow point. but he dropped on the spot. they reportedly transfer almost all of their energy into tissue shock within the first 3-6" or something around there. devastating to say the least. cons, theyre more expensive?

· Registered
852 Posts
A danger with the solid barnes bullets

Not that anyone would ever make this mistake but if a reloader loads his standard load with the new Barnes bullets he/she just opened a big house of pain. The new style solid core/no lead bullets are long for their weight. The bullets will extend into the case far more than conventional lead core ones. A powder load that is safe for say a 150gr lead core bullet in 3006 will be creating far higher pressure if the bullet is a copper solid in the same 150gr weight. Copper is lower density then lead so the bullet will need to be longer to reach the same weight. Another feature of the new solid core bullets is that the solid cores don't compress on firing the way a lead core bullet does. The triple shock has all those groves to reduce the friction in the bore but not all solid core bullets are using them. I would like to see how some shoot through my rifle. I have never worried about lead poisoning from eating venison, the solid cores remove the concern if someones has it.

Karl

· Registered
796 Posts
I have killed my last two bucks using 150 Gr. TTSX (Tipped Triple Shock) bullets in my 300WSM. Shot both deer through the heart - one at about 175 yards, the other at about 40 yards - both deer ran about 30-40 yards before falling dead. I was a little surprised as I was expecting a drop-dead result. I think that's the nature of a heart shot more than a bullet design problem. I usually take a high lung shot and get instant kills with that. I think if I had hit those last two bucks with the TTSX in the high lung area, they would have dropped in their tracks. So the question is, "Do I need spend all that money for the Barnes bullets?"

· Registered
97 Posts
i think(just my opinion) that its not so much the lead poisoning that brought these bullets about, its more the "going green" thing. a few states dont allow lead core bullets, i think california is one of them. but again, thats just my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.