Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is a need for this or if some of you would use it.

I know when I access the forums from my phone it is very difficult to post and read posts. Very time consuming. I rarely do it anymore for that reason.

I follow the TN vols on my phone and they have a mobile version for their site. Its very easy to browse the forums and make post from your mobile phone.

How many of you fellows have a smart phone and would be interested in this application?? Also thought it would be neat that we could post while hunting. (as long as its not to cold and your phone has a signal)

Thx for your comments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
BF, my phone dont have the technology to use it to come on hear, but i still think it would be a great idea. imagen you are a young unexperianced hunter, in the woods and somthing out of the ordinary happens (spook a doe, see a coyote, see another hunter a few 100 yards away) and you dont know if you should stay put, or move to another location. instead of haveing to make that desision on your own risking the wrong desision due to in experiance, you can just come on hear and ask the guys what they think. that would be awsome.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have a blackberry, but I'm not much on real time posting. I would probably be looking at the blackberry and a big buck would get past me.

My problem is I have a hard enough time seeing a big computer screen, I couldn't imagine trying to post on a phone size one.:nerd::lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Coming from a young guy, even though it seems like a pretty good idea, I would keep status quo for right now. I like to use my phone a lot but, I think that a mobile version might be distracting to some or even be a hassle. Even though I can post to places like Facebook or other message boards from my phone, I get more enjoyment out of being able to sit at a computer to post my stories or ask for advice.

hunt NH has a great point but, as with a lot of message boards, that advice may not come in as quickly as they might like. I also like to think that some of the things NH brought up might be good in terms of learning on your own, and then reflecting upon them here with some of the more experienced members.

This is just how I see everything and people are free to disagree with what I have to say. I just feel that whatever work might be put into it might not be worth it because members may not use it like you think they would.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I dont have a smart phone but this coming June when it's time to renew with Verizon wireless, IF Verizon Wireless has the iphone available that's what i'll be getting and even though I dont have the capabilities now I think mobile access is a great idea and I would use the App in the future.

according to news reports Apple will be making the iphone available for Verizon Wireless some time early next year...

·
Registered
820 Posts
imagen you are a young unexperianced hunter, in the woods and somthing out of the ordinary happens (spook a doe, see a coyote, see another hunter a few 100 yards away) and you dont know if you should stay put, or move to another location
Speaking of seeing another "hunter"....I had some random guy who I've never seen before walk about 30 yards in front of my blind tonight. He had no reason for being there and he was trespassing on my land. He even waved at me and kept walking on my land. Thanks to him I didn't see a single deer tonight. :ranting:

·
Registered
820 Posts
id have told him to get off my land. (in a much less friendly way)
For some reason he was carrying what looked like a camera...not sure what he was doing...I know he wasn't a DNR or anything like that. He walked into the neighbors woods before I could have said anything without yelling. Right now where I hunt its a doe only gun season..he wasn't even wearing orange. :wacko:

·
Registered
824 Posts
id have told him to get off my land. (in a much less friendly way)
I would have done the same AND gotten a good description to both the game warden and the sheriff's department. Both might have some good reason for this information. If he's that blatant about wandering your property (even waving) then no telling what else he may be up to. :ranting:

As far as adding a mobile app? I have a smart phone that I use for all kinds of things, but at my age I have to have glasses to see anything in print. About the only thing on the phone NOT requiring glasses are the photos of the grandkids. Great idea, but maybe a little bit ahead of its time -- for now anyway. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
56 Posts
well I've got a good web browser on my phone (a palm phone) but an app would make things easier to read for sure...if you do go through with the idea, I'd be sure to use it (probably when I'm in the woods and something deer-related happens that I want to post on the fly...lol)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Go for it!!

Just wondering if there is a need for this or if some of you would use it.

I know when I access the forums from my phone it is very difficult to post and read posts. Very time consuming. I rarely do it anymore for that reason.

I follow the TN vols on my phone and they have a mobile version for their site. Its very easy to browse the forums and make post from your mobile phone.

How many of you fellows have a smart phone and would be interested in this application?? Also thought it would be neat that we could post while hunting. (as long as its not to cold and your phone has a signal)

Thx for your comments
I know I would use it a lot, very dificult to use in existing form while on phone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont have a smart phone but this coming June when it's time to renew with Verizon wireless, IF Verizon Wireless has the iphone available that's what i'll be getting and even though I dont have the capabilities now I think mobile access is a great idea and I would use the App in the future.

according to news reports Apple will be making the iphone available for Verizon Wireless some time early next year...
Bruce, Verizons version of the Iphone is the Droid Phones. I have the Droid2 which slides up and has a keyboard as well as the touchscreen option. Ive had it for a month now and love it. There is also an app for it that links with the GPS and Satillites for tracking your movement which I find works great when Im scouting. You can also flag things with it like scrapes, rubs stand locations. Been using the crap out of it.

And yes I would definitely utilize the Mobile version if it was created.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Yes Joe7137, I'm aware of the Droids, my step daughter has the "Droid Incredible" and I wouldn't mind having the Droid myself,
I know it's a great piece of equipment but what I was saying is the iPhone is going to be available on the Verizon network
sometime next year according to news reports... But my Verizon contract isn't due to renew until June
So I have to wait awhile before I can choose either one....

Thank you for the info on the GPS in the Droid I was wondering how good that would be for scouting...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts