Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you people think about this new gun. Anyone shot it or bought it yet? It seems like it would be easier to clean than most.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
havent shot it i got a cva wolf.went shooting saturday got video just got to find the camera:wacko:

·
Registered
16 Posts
TC Triumph Winchester 777 209 Primer Problems

I bought one a few weeks ago. Shot 6 rounds at 50 yards, right out of the box shot good, for open sights, 4-6 inch groups. A little to early to tell for sure, but it seems to be living up to all the media hipe. The breach plug works nice, and almost zero fowling around the fireing pin and receiver.
Only problem I had is it would not close with the 777 Winchester primers. It would not let me close the breach. As soon as I changed to the Remington Kleanbore primers it worked just fine.

I called TC today and told them about the problem with the 777 Winchester primers. Customer service said she wanted to talk to one of the gunsmiths. After a 3-4 minute wait she told me this is the first such report about primer problems they have received. She said the gunsmith told her the 777 primers must be slightly large.

I would think they would have tested the Triumph and caught this problem.

So I went right out and bought 4 boxes of the Remington 209 primers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
do muzzleloaders kick hard?

·
Registered
179 Posts
well ive never really shot any thing bigger than a .22 cuz i usually use shotguns obviously

·
Registered
2 Posts
My new T/C Triumph

I bought a Triumph a few weeks ago with a camo stock and blued barrel(409$). I shot it this past weekend. With open sights at 100yds, I am getting 3-4" groups 110 gr 777, T/C 250gr shockwave sabots. I was grouping down and to the right about 4". My front bead completely covers a 9" bullseye at one hunded yds so it is rather hard to aim any closer to the bullseye. Will shoot it some more in a few weeks and adjust the rear sight a little. I noticed when I got home it was slightly off center. That probably explains the bullet placement. I haven't shot it enough to find the best powder charge yet but that will come. This is my first ML and I don't have any basis to compare it to. So far I like it. The breech plug was a littler tight to remove by hand, but sweaty fingers don't help any.

I'm looking at putting a Swift 2-7x 40 scope eventually. Anybody have any experience with Swift scopes?

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
finally got my triumph in. nimbus i dont have any experience with swift scopes so i cant help you there. peckspond i was at the store the other day and was thinking you said only the winchester primers worked so that is what i bought. i had the same trouble you had with them. when i figured out they were not working right i got on here and reread your post. now i need to go buy the remington primers. it is odd that they do not work correctly. did you ever hear anything from T/C on this problem? you would think they would be the same size across the board on primers. but oh well. i do like the gun. i havent got to shoot it yet though. i hope the breech plug is always as easy to remove as it is right now. it should be very easy to clean this gun compared to the knight muzzleloader that im used to cleaning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my Thompson/Center Triumph camo stock and stainless weatherguard about 2 weeks ago. This is my first muzzleloader.

Besides it arriving without the fiber optic insert in the front site, I am very happy and impressed with this gun! Thompson promptly sent me a new element to install and it was easy to correct. It's a little loose (up and down movement) but it won't slide out because the ends are melted. Thompson says the little play is normal. Comments on this?

I also shot it using T/C 250gr shockwave sabots, 2 and 3 Pyrodex pellets and Winchester primers (don't know the number, just standard 209 primers) with no problem. Cleaning after each shot was a snap with the removable breech plug. I'm using Hoppes No 9 Plus and it seems to work well. Anything better out there?

I'm using open sights for now and it's a very light gun to carry compared to some of the rifles I have.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
i dont know if its a better cleaner or not but ive used thompson/center #13 bore cleaner for a long time now. im very impressed with the job it does

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
im not really sure but i think hoppes isnt for blackpowder,just smokeless powder.that BP is very corrosive i would use a cleaner just for it.I use barrel blaster concentrated gun cleaning gel by cva.never had a problem with it.I dont smell as nice as hoppes:shocking: but you can use it around the wife:w00t:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
see ya learn something new everyday,thanks:wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I set up a friend Triumph last week, it was seating there all scoped and ready. So I took it to the range. All went well, one shot , opened the gun removed primer, the gun would not close. The bottom lever wouldn't move, I just shot it, 150g 777 witha shockwave. The barrel would go into the receiver but lever didn't move. So I put both thumbs on the handgrip and index fingers on the lever, pulled and it snapped off. The whole trigger guard is this cast sliver stuff.
On Monday I called TC, its warrantied and it will be repaired. That's my experence

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi NJ Hunter. I would not be too disappointed with you experience with the Truimph. TC is good, but not perfect. Yes your experience should not have happened, but they will make good on it. I too have had a few bad experiences with TC products, but nor bad compared to CVA> TC is a far better muzzleloader.

What type of 209 primers are you using with the Triumph? I have shot about 50 rounds through my Triumph and the only problem I have had is it does not close with the Winchester 777 209 primers. Works great with the remington primers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all

I have wanted to get in to black power for a while now. After reading alot on T/C triumph i did get it and the omega scope to put on it. I am still doing some reading on what people sugest for power brands. I am hearing alot of 777 pellets and pyrodex. Also for the round shockwaves and sure fire sabots. What are you ideas or thoughs?

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
i have only shot it several times and havent had the time to experiment with it much but here is my load..

2 50gr triple7 pellets
1 200gr t/c shockwave sabot
1 209 remington kleanbore primer

do not buy the winchester 209 primers. me and another member on here could not get the gun to close using these. i tried some older shotgun primers i had and it closed fine with them. the only reason i use the remington is because its suppose to be cleaner.

i bet that omega scope is nice. i looked at those and considered it but did not want to pay the price for it this year. i bought a nikon prostaff instead.

the shockwaves are tough to load but your accuracy should be better than a bore sized bullet like the powerbelts.

and welcome to the site. make yourself at home

1 - 20 of 29 Posts