Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from a previous post. What guns will you be using this year? My guess many will have several in use for various game. I'm thinking the average number used will be 3-4 per hunter.

· Registered
602 Posts
I normally do use a good number of different rifles during any one season. I make a list of ones I've not shot a deer with, or ones I have not used in a long while and then concentrate on making sure at least all of those listed are ready to go.

I did lose a favorite piece of hunting property two years ago and that has caused me to hunt a bit less these last two years (property was close by). I have some lever rifles I'd really like to use this coming season and see how those chamberings perform. I have a new .308MX and am anxious to try it out along with my Marlins in .444 & 45-70. I also have a newish Ruger 77 in .284 and another CZ in 6.5x55 I'm wanting to take something with.

I passed up a shot this past year when holding my CZ 9.3x62 that I kind of wish I'd taken now. I was able to baptize my Marlin .375 though and took my first deer (nice Indiana buck) with a .44 mag carbine.

Picture of the Nov Tn M/L deer and another with the Marlin posing with the cull buck taken with it in Ky.

Attachments

· Registered
852 Posts
Did Indiana finally wise up

I was born and raised in Indiana, and even when I got off active duty in 1979 you had to use shotguns with slugs or black power rifles. Its great that you can now use 44mag rifles. I always thought it was strange that those in Ill. could use rifles and we couldn't.

Karl

· Administrator
5,529 Posts
the .270, .300 winmag, .12Ga. and the .50 cal. muzzleloader will all be used this year...:w00t:

· Registered
602 Posts
I was born and raised in Indiana, and even when I got off active duty in 1979 you had to use shotguns with slugs or black power rifles. Its great that you can now use 44mag rifles. I always thought it was strange that those in Ill. could use rifles and we couldn't.

Karl
Last season was my first hunting deer in Indiana. I have a friend who hunts Switzerland County and I hope to make many more fall trips to that really nice area. It looks like a new regulation has already been passed and is to be implemented in 2012 (I think). It will allow a longer case to be used. The new reg will allow cases up to 1.8" in length in calibers of .35 or larger for rifles. The regs for shooting a rifle during gun season are a bit odd, but they are what they are...:confused:

· Super Moderator
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunately I deleted a whole post when just trying to take off the gun collection as it had been up long enough. Someday I'll get this figured out, sorry for any lost remarks/posts.

· Premium Member
3,335 Posts
M77 .270, Mini-30 7.62, H&R EXcell 12 Ga & the Hoyt rampage XT & that will most likely be all that gets out for hunting purposes

· Premium Member
3,335 Posts
HM that is my next step also
I need to build a saddle mount for the Excell & put a scope on that
I like the scope for Turkey hunting as well as deer

· Registered
808 Posts
My younger son wants to 'revert' back to the Marlin 336 in .30/30 this year. It's always been his favorite, ever since taking him to the range for the very first time.

No problems, that means that I can use either the Savage Model 111 in .270. Haven't had much luck with the .270, but only because I have other toys to play with. Almost committed a 'grave' error and put "too many" into that last statement. Can never have "too many" toys to play with, right???

· Super Moderator
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
only when you have to clean them. I try to wipe everything down at least 3x a year after a complete cleaning post season. Flintlocks are cleaned pretty well every night during hunting trip to ensure some kind of success. I think kids and lever actions are a great combination for deer hunting, especially for their first gun. We were just talking about carbine style rifles in another post.

· Premium Member
3,335 Posts
If you aren't going to use them
Then why have em?
I personally don't collect guns just to show off I buy guns that I use for hunting or just love to shoot
all my guns get used all year long & where I am hunting will determine what gun I am using

· Super Moderator
8,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I do collect them much like a stamp collector. It isn't necessary for me to justify shooting them. I just enjoy having them. However, several do get used every year and I like to alternate every other year or so. I have a couple of favorites too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.