Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Very nice, I love the bear pics. I don't see many trees to put a stand in in those first 3. It looks like a nice place to hunt. What kind of bear season do you have?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
buckshot, it starts sep 1 rifle. runs till rifle for deer mostly. one tag over the counter. running dogs starts after a while to let the still hunters not be hassled by guys running dogs. the deer pic is a field edge so there are big oaks there which is why the deer are there. Its the field my plot is in. The field is behind the camera. The bear is on the old woods side of a newer clear cut. I have a stand oh 25 yards from where the bear is standing. That "break" in the stone wall is one of 3 "break lines" that come together at a pinch point.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That os great to have an early bear season. We have bears everywhere and very little opportunity to hunt them.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
yup nice pics ronn, I'm not specifically hunting for a Bear but If I see another one and it's ready to harvest , I'll take it this time around.
I'd like a nice Bear rug!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
in this case yes but not all mark the property lines. Don't forget we have that open land thing where you don't need permission to hunt if its not posted and its not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah bruce i'm the same way. not really a bear hunter but i will go for a walk or sit a powerline more to just get out there but if a good one stops by well.....

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Cool pics.. If you get the bear Ill buy some sausage. Ive never had bear before but from hearing ya'll talk about it Id like to give it a try.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
hey ronn how big/old would you say that bear is?Im going o a bear hunt in late september and have been reading up on them.would you say that bear is a shooter?got any good bear advice or books to read?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm no expert but let me offer you my advice on the bear in the pic,
I would guess it's age to be almost 2 years old, (they stay with momma for approx. 18 months)
I think it's current live weight is only about 135 to 145 lbs. (adult Black Bears weight between 125 and 400) so this one is on the small side.
Personally, If I saw this bear in the woods I would let this one pass.
A Black Bear's skull measurement determines it's Trophy Status., AND I don't know how true it is but I have heard a few times that an older bear tastes a little better than the younger bears.
Where are you hunting for Bear Joel? my advice would be (especially this time of year) find the old apple tree's, (apple's are abundant this year)
if you see any bear sign at all, hunt right there. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i thought it was kinda small too they say to look at the head its supposed to be blocky with small ears.im going the last week of september i have a guide.its fair chase no bait in the adirondak mountains,also going deer hunting

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
don't hunt them while covered in honey. no. not really. i'm not a bear hunter really. I think its a 2 year old and would be around that 125 to 150 range. no, this is not the bear i would shoot for a rug.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
nice pics, and bear meat is great as long as they're not eating from dumps. I like it more than deer, not as good as elk. I agree that's a smaller bear but still cool to see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts